Any time limitation before being eligible for another tourist visa?

InnerVoice

Hello all,

I'm a Pom (now an Aussie citizen) who has recently married my Thai girlfriend here in Australia. We had known each other for 4 years and had been living together in Thailand for a couple of years before I moved back to Australia. My girlfriend joined me soon afterwards and has been staying here on a 3 month tourist visa, but will be returning to Bangkok in 2 weeks and submitting a Partner Visa application (paperwork done). I am aware that the processing time will be about a year, so it would be great if she can return to Australia on another tourist visa during that time, so that we can be together whilst the Partner Visa application is being processed. I am aware that she will have to go offshore again once the visa is to be granted, so on this occasion she is going to apply for a 12-month tourist visa so hopefully she won't have to leave the country before then. (If they only grant a 3-month one then I guess that will be better than nothing!)

My question for the forum is does anyone know of any restrictions on the issuing of tourist visas which would mean that she would be obliged to spend a minimum period of time in Thailand before being allowed to apply for another tourist visa? I haven't been able to find any info on the DIAC website, but was hoping that there might be someone out there who'd had a similar experience.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards, Mart.

There are no such rules in place. I think the Australian government would rather keep its discretion and consider on a case by case basis. You can but try and see what happens, although a rule of thumb seems to be to try to spend at least as much time outside the country as was spent in it on the previous visit.

...although a rule of thumb seems to be to try to spend at least as much time outside the country as was spent in it on the previous visit.

Why would that be?

Many thanks for your quick reply Russell, it's good to know that there are no such rules in place.

KR, Matt.

Take professional advice, there may better soloutions so your wife can lodge her application onshore.

Hi, and many thanks for your reply.

I went to see a migration agent a month ago and they said that the Partner Visa application needed to be submitted offshore because my wife has the 8503 'no further stay' condition applied to her tourist visa. I was informed that any person who has a visa with that condition cannot apply for a 'substantative' visa (one which leads to residency status), whilst they are currently in Australia.

Yes, it would be very convenient if she didn't have to go back to Thailand to lodge the application. If you know of a way around it, then please let me know!

Archived