£ slipping against the $

Paulr

Looks like we might be moving a bit earlier than expected next - next 3 months, been thinking about moving some money for last 3 months probably should have done it at 1.56 as it looks like the dollar is strengthening will be 1.46 next not good for taking over.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I was going to give you a Like, but i don't Like what you have put, lol

Its a nightmare, it must be effecting a lot of people looking at emigrating.

Guest Shell15

I managed to get 1.55 about a month ago, glad I did now, they say it will rise again but not for a while (damn it)

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I got 2.3 in 2006 and 1.65 in 2010 but it went close to 2.6 when we started the visa process, so we thought andhoped we would be bringing over X amount of dollars and its now a million miles away from that.

Guest Shell15

How lovely that would be, dont think it will ever be that again! My broker told me we could see 1.6 in a few months, but its anyone's guess really

Guest The Ropey HOFF
How lovely that would be, dont think it will ever be that again! My broker told me we could see 1.6 in a few months, but its anyone's guess really

No one could have predicted this, i don't think it had ever gone below $2 to £1 before up until a couple of years ago, maybe someone knows, i read on here that someone came over when it was $3 to £1. What i would give for that now, its more than double.

I was going to give you a Like, but i don't Like what you have put, lol

Its a nightmare, it must be effecting a lot of people looking at emigrating.

Come on, hit like Jim, I knew you would be first to comment!

Guest guest17301

2.2 to 1 when we came....Im glad its what it is now for our holiday back (selfish me) but feel for anyone with a chunk of cash to move...makes the move difficult unless you have money to spare I imagine...especially if its been in the pipeline for years and youve seen the rise then fall....

The sooner you move it over here, the sooner you'll start getting very nice interest payments into your Aussie high-yield online account every month, and dreams of "what might have been if only the exchange rates were better" will start to fade. RAMS are doing a very nice one at the moment... I just moved my shekels over to them from Ubank...

Trust me, the pain does subside! If you can't bear to do it all in one then you could drip-feed it over a couple of years, but I don't see the exchange rate moving in your favour any time soon...

I got 2.3 in 2006 and 1.65 in 2010 but it went close to 2.6 when we started the visa process, so we thought andhoped we would be bringing over X amount of dollars and its now a million miles away from that.

I got a dollar for 51p when I came over 17 yrs ago. I've never noticed it better than that but I may have missed it. I can remember because it was the same price as petrol then...........51c a litre

Guest guest67442

As an keen watcher of this rate slipping away, I find it so depressing. Our life over there could be so different dependent on how this rate changes over the next 12 months.

Has anybody given any thought to any alternatives? I know if it were possible everyone would be doing it, but are there any other ideas out there? Perhaps to buy something in GBP to sell in AUD that would give a greater return than the current FX rates?

Is there an idea out there somewhere, perhaps risky (and a little bit crazy), that could be a better route for those of us seeing their savings slip away?

I'm sure everyone reading this thread has considered alternatives already but perhaps if we put our collective thinking caps on ... :cool:

What's really expensive in Oz that could be bought quite reasonably in the UK, brought over and sold?

Guest Spencer

OMG $1.47 to the £ this morning!!!

Sods law got a load of funds waiting to send over to my Australian bank before we arrive at the end of August!!!!

I'm sure everyone reading this thread has considered alternatives already but perhaps if we put our collective thinking caps on ... :cool:

What's really expensive in Oz that could be bought quite reasonably in the UK, brought over and sold?

Luxury cars I believe, didn't someone on here suggest buying a £100k car, storing it for a year, shipping it over and selling it for $3:£1 conversion???

This is getting slightly worrying now.... :-( I know it's money we would never have had, its only a paper loss but still it is a right kick in the.... if it drops much lower think I might start rethinking selling the house and just rent it out

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Like i say one country is booming - Australia and another country is in a long term recession - the UK, its whats to be expected, doesn't help those of us who have a lot of money to bring over, its a frecking nightmare.

Like i say one country is booming - Australia and another country is in a long term recession - the UK, its whats to be expected, doesn't help those of us who have a lot of money to bring over, its a frecking nightmare.

What having a lot of money to take over is a nightmare? :unsure: Poor old you :wideeyed:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
What having a lot of money to take over is a nightmare? :unsure: Poor old you :wideeyed:

No having it robbed hoff me because of the crappy exchange rate when i worked hard, sorry i mean i have attended work for it, lol

Your loaded give me some if your not bothered, Eh What, er, Nagh ...... i didn't think so, lol

No having it robbed hoff me because of the crappy exchange rate when i worked hard, sorry i mean i have attended work for it, lol

Your loaded give me some if your not bothered, Eh What, er, Nagh ...... i didn't think so, lol

:biglaugh:What make's you think i am well hoff?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
:biglaugh:What make's you think i am well hoff?

I know, you know and you know i know, you know, lol.

Archived