Any Oz Bank Accounts that DON'T charge foreign transaction fees?

nicolac34

The title says it all really! I currently bank with Bankwest and I'm getting a bit tired of the foreign transaction fees that are loaded on whenever I buy something in a currency other than AUD. I paid for a hotel in THB the other day and the charge was over $20!

I do have a post office credit card that is still open in the UK that I could use and therefore avoid the fee, but I'd still have to transfer money back to the UK to pay it off, which sort of defeats the object.

I had heard NAB Gold Account didn't charge, but after a quick search it's showing that one is no longer available as of April this year.

Any other suggetions?

I was going to say that no bank will do this for free, you either see the cost or it will be hidden in the exchange rate, they are not money changing charities. :biggrin: However a $20 charge for every transaction does seem excessive, I would have thought anyone would be able to beat that, but it will never be free..

Guest Kymelee

Try INGdirect Orange account, from memory visa charge a 2ish% of the transaction and thats it. ING doesn't have chargers. When I have to transfer money between Australia and the UK I use xe.com . Between these 2 I keep fees to a bare minimum.

Well after winging to Bankwest and threatening to move elsewhere they have been most helpful! I've had very attentive service from a nice man who has got me approved for a Zero Platinum Credit Card - that has no transaction fees on foreign transactions.

Thats what I wanted. All sorted now!

Archived