Leg in plaster coming to Brisbane

rmm17c

I broke a bone in my foot a couple of weeks ago. The plaster will come off 7th August before we fly out of Glasgow 10th August. i hope i will not need another one on, however if i do I may need to have it removed when I'm in Brisbane. Iwondered if anyone knows how much it would cost? or would i be eligible to go to the local hospital?

If you're a UK citizen, or have a Medicare card, it won't cost anything to attend a Queensland Health public Emergency Dept (make sure you are not entering a private ED). If you do need to pay it would start be several hundred dollars.

Chris

Guest littlesarah

I'm guessing you broke a metatarsal? It's not all that common for met fractures to not heal in 6 weeks or so, but if you have any problems, try to get copies of the X-rays to bring with you. That will make sure that you get continuity of care. I would also be quite tempted to get a doctor's note to say it's safe to fly - just in case the airline ask (I'm probably over-cautious, have to admit).

...i hope i will not need another one on, however if i do I may need to have it removed when I'm in Brisbane. ...

Further to littlesarah's comments; it is standard practice for commercial airlines to require all casts to be either split or for the patient to have only a "backslab". This is to allow for any swelling in transit. If on attending the review you are advised to leave cast on until you reach Australia, I suggest that you ask that they split the cast for you, and then they apply a supportive bandage which can be removed by the airline for inspection of the split.

Check that it's safe to fly with your foot/ankle in plaster, as your feet/ankles swell a lot especially on a long flight, and could cause a big problem encased in plaster. Get assistance rather than walking the miles at the airport. I know that may sound unnecessary, but I was still limping quite badly for a few weeks recently 6 weeks after breaking a bone in my foot and again even if you are out of plaster, your foot will probably still be swollen from the injury, so it makes sense to be careful. Good luck.

Thank you all kindly for your replies. I have checked with Emirates and they have booked assisted boarding for me from Glasgow to arriving in Brisbane.

as long as a plaster allows the movement of toes and Knee then I can travel. its the 5th metasasal thats broken but it only happened on 14th July! her's hoping all will be well. I need to get there i miss our family

Archived