Best community feeling - where to live

Petals

Never felt lonely in Melbourne until I had my baby and went on mat leave.

lived in apartment block in Elwood at the time and had great neighbours who visited me daily! Had to move away eventually due to rental prices but made sure we went somewhere close to shops etc.. Could have got more rental for our money bit further inland but have opted for smaller place where we can walk to the shops, train and not have to use car as much.

Good to live in mixed area as i find i end up talking to older people a lot on my walks!

can still be lonely at times even in built up areas, but having a library, bakery etc nearby at least brings you into contact with the outside world!

This desire to live in an established area does however mean we cannot look at buying, as this would result in us having to move further out and away from this kind of place.

• Like 1

What an excellent thread Petals. I have always struggled living in OZ sometimes alittle sometimes alot. We are in Croydon Hills and are within reasonable walking distance to shops and schools which was great when my daughter was younger, she is now a teenager and we are moving. Having always worked, our social life has been something which has had to fit in around work and school etc. The thing is, comming from the Wirral in the UK where you could walk anywhere and everyone knew each other i have always felt that this wasnt quite good enough. Anyway, we have just sold our house with the intention of buying something to do up and sell in a couple of years to try and make some money. The house we have seen is definately one you have to drive to everything even though it is not far away. After reading this thread i dont think it is the one for us. Thanks for putting into words what i feel about the suburbs but didnt really know the answer. This was just what i needed to read, timing was excellent!

I saw SL on Location, Location, Location last night and it looked lovely - it struck me as a bit different to many of the estates that are springing up and you have all of those communal facilities. We looked on real estate at some houses there but as my hubby works just south of the city I think travelling to work would be a bit of a nightmare.

Have a look at Sandhurst which is a sister estate of Sanctuary lakes which is in the East.

Similar concept golf,gym etc and you may find nearer. I have some friends who live there that commute to around where you said.

Good Luck!

We actually had a drive over to SL today and LOVED it! It didn't feel at all like the other estates we had seen and the facilities are fantastic. It only took us 25 mins from the CBD so my hubby reckons he could drive to work as they would be happy for him to get in early and leave early. We had a sneaky peek at a house which had an inspection on and can't believe what we can get for our money. Once our PR is granted we will start looking properly.

This is my first post on the forum, and I have really enjoyed reading this thread..... will be reading loads more over coming weeks.

Hubby and I ( and 6yr old) are about to start the migration process, and are in the throws of general research. We are completely clueless right now on where to move to. He is a 'Carpenter and Joiner'.

We currently live in a small village where everything is in walking distance, and whilst travelling for work purposes is the norm, we would not like the clinical feel of a new build suburbia.

Thank you all for the inspiration and knowledge so far !!

Alex & Mark

This is my first post on the forum, and I have really enjoyed reading this thread..... will be reading loads more over coming weeks.

Hubby and I ( and 6yr old) are about to start the migration process, and are in the throws of general research. We are completely clueless right now on where to move to. He is a 'Carpenter and Joiner'.

We currently live in a small village where everything is in walking distance, and whilst travelling for work purposes is the norm, we would not like the clinical feel of a new build suburbia.

Thank you all for the inspiration and knowledge so far !!

Alex & Mark

Good luck.

Use all the resources available.I would say it rarely feels clinical over here as people buy land and then build generally. Not like in the UK when lots of houses are the same in the road or estate. Rarely do ones look like each other. Wyndham I believe is the fastest growing area in Australia at the moment. I think you just need to be honest what you are looking for and then find it :-)

i have never lived in an area where i could walk everywhere. A car has always been key whether in the UK or Australia.

I don't find newer estates soulless but you need to look for the right one.

I always think easier and cheaper to maintain. That maybe though because my husband and I aren't really into DIY.

The town where I live on the Peninsula people can walk to everything, unless they are further out on one of the acreage blocks. We are ourselves on acreage but we bought it because we knew that our children could walk into the town very easily 20 mins to the shops, 10 mins now as they have built new shopping centres. We can walk to the docs, pub, train, sports clubs. Also there are walking paths all around so that people can walk safely. Schools are accessible by shanks pony too.

We could live here without a car and still have our freedom of the large block.

If I had to move I would probably move back towards the city as I believe that moving to a smaller block in say Mornington or Mount Martha would be too isolated for me and I would not want to rely on having the car for everything.

My Mum who is 93 lives alone in Hastings in a villa unit and she can walk to everything and its great. She keeps her independence and is able to look after herself, so important, good pond for her.