Buying a used car in Oz

desreb

Hi all,

A quick question - I've read all the various wheres and how's about buy a car, but how are they about letting you test drive?

Reason being, we want to try out a few car models at the weekend - for which in the UK you would have to feign really strong interest in order to have a go. Is it much the same here?

Thanks!

D

I have never heard of having to feign strong interest to test drive a car before! Mind you I would not want to test drive a car if I was not interested. We had no issue whatsoever in test driving cars, not here in Australia but also never in UK either.

Just went to a dealer and had a drive. Sure enough, all they needed was to photocopy my driving licence. Didn't even ask me to sign anything.

A question: in the service book, the address page had details tippexed out and replaced, including the rego. Obviously sounds suspicious, but anyone know of a specific NSW scam about that?

D

It sounds like they've taken the service manual from a different car, well that would be my first suspicion. By law, the seller (if it's a dealer) must provide the contact details of the last owner. Feel free to contact them and get more information. I'd be walking away from that one.

Thanks mate. We're regarding it with extreme caution. Just to share (in case anyone else ever sees similar signs), the NSW RMS history check ($18) shows a business holding it for 4 years, then a charity (which probably is the current owner in the service manual) holding it for just 4 weeks, then the dealer holding it for the last 7 weeks (and it's only been listed for 3).

I might call the charity to see if they'll share anything; in terms of scams, it could be that it was written off by the charity, the dealer bought it, cut it with a new one, then listed it.

Also - for sharing info on scams: the service stamp is the same company throughout, who has no website, no presence at all aside from a Yell business entry, no address, and only a mobile number. LOL.

D

Guest GeorgeD

In QLD I test drove a few cars before buying, no problems...you just give tehma copy of your driver's lcience. One issue I did have with Motorama (who are one of the biggest around my way) was that they wouldn't let me test drive on a UK driving licence. i didn't have my Oz QLD one yet as I had only been in the country 4 weeks, but they said I wasn't insured on their insurance without an Oz licence. They were quite firm about it and we even tried a few different branches of theirs and they were all the same. Once I got my oz licence it was fine.

Archived