Nursing job in a mine in Leinster, what is it like to live in an outback mining town?

khm1981

Hi,

I have applied for a job as an Occupational Health Nurse in a nickel mine in Leinster. I work as an OH nurse in heavy industry here in the UK and I was wondering what it is like to live in an outback mining town? I will be moving there on the proviso that my husband can also get a job, he is an Arborist so I doubt he will be doing any tree work there, but he will do any job. We also have a 7 month old baby and I am under the impression that daycare is available in the town. As soon as we applied for our 175 visa I have wanted to work in the mines, not just for the money - which is a bonus, but for the fact that I love my job and how interesting nursing is in heavy industry. We plan to do this for a couple of years and save up.

I have researched Leinster, it has a shop, a post office, pub, leisure centre, school, golf course, swimming pool etc.

So if anyone has done this with a young family any advice would be greatly appreciated? Is it just a stupid idea of mine to do this?

Thanks, Kath :biggrin:

It can be a challenge. It would also be a bit of a shock to the system.

However, are you certain it is residential? I wasn't aware of any of the nickel mines there now being residential. I thought they were all FIFO? I certainly see lots of Nickel West guys at the airport when I fly out

Hi, It is advertised as both and they have put a blurb on it about the town itself and what there is there. I think part of the nursing role is to run a clinic for the town's residents as well as the miners? I tend to spend weeks at a time away in quarries, power stations etc here in the UK (before I went on Mat Leave) but I know it will be very different out there. I am looking at it as an adventure that could set us up for life! Any advice or tips would be great?

Thanks, Kath

Archived