Backpacking for 3 weeks down the East Coast help :)

Guest Sarah99

Guest Sarah99

Hi,

So im 27 and heading to Oz on a 5 week holiday if only it were longer but sure ill take what i can get. Anyways im hoping to travel down the East Coast for 3 weeks and then stay in Melbourne for 2 with a friend.

The thing is theres just so much info out there and different sites between What bus company to use, What hostels to stay in, Where to visit etc that its all a bit of a minefield to be honest. If theres anyone out there whose made this trip already any advice would be amazing :)

Thanks Sarah from Ireland

Are you travelling alone?? Are you on a budget?

3 weeks for the East Coast is not that long. I did Oz Experiance - it was ok, but it was a few years ago now, it was a hop on hop off service and was a choice of hostals that you could stay at. One of the best things was staying on the Cattle Station for the night. If you are on more of a budget - there is the GreyHound which also does the hop on hop off passes. Alot of hostals have mini buses that wait at the bus terminal for people to arrive off they greyhound - so you didnt have to worry about booking ahead.

Main places I would see on East Coast - Cairns (Port Douglas and Cape Tribulation), Airle Beach, (Whitesunday boat trip), Noosa, Harvey Bay (Fraser Island trip), Brisbane (Australia Zoo), Surfers (theam parks if you are in to that?), Byron Bay.

Dont worry to much about planning ahead - it is really easy when you get there.

Guest Sarah99

Thanks for the suggestions :) i know 3 weeks isnt very long but lucky to be gettin that with my job lol so tryin to pack in as much as possible but thats great about the hostels etc that i dont have to panic tryin to book everything in advance.

Really appreciated :)

Main places I would see on East Coast - Cairns (Port Douglas and Cape Tribulation), Airle Beach, (Whitesunday boat trip), Noosa, Harvey Bay (Fraser Island trip), Brisbane (Australia Zoo), Surfers (theam parks if you are in to that?), Byron Bay.

Wouldn't bother with Sydney??? ;)

Hunter Valley as well, lots to do there, not to mention all the free wine tasting you can handle

Guest JonnyNI
Are you travelling alone?? Are you on a budget?

3 weeks for the East Coast is not that long. I did Oz Experiance - it was ok, but it was a few years ago now, it was a hop on hop off service and was a choice of hostals that you could stay at. One of the best things was staying on the Cattle Station for the night. If you are on more of a budget - there is the GreyHound which also does the hop on hop off passes. Alot of hostals have mini buses that wait at the bus terminal for people to arrive off they greyhound - so you didnt have to worry about booking ahead.

Dont worry to much about planning ahead - it is really easy when you get there.

I think you have covered almost everything but you didn't mention Nimbin - that's an experience and a half!!! :err:

Also on the Whitsundays trip I went on the Avatar http://ozmagic.homestead.com/avatarozsailwhitsundays.html absolutely amazing - highly recommended but it was about 9 years ago...

Have a great time, Jonny

PS. Where in ireland are you from??

Guest Sarah99

Cheers Lads thats given me alot to look into and a much better idea of where to be stopping off instead of wasting time in useless spots! Stevie a girl can never have to much of free wine tasting so thats been pushed right up the que ;)

As for the sailing Johnny thats an ambitious idea, dont know how good my sea legs are but sure only one way to find out :)

Also im from Dublin.

Guest JonnyNI
Cheers Lads thats given me alot to look into and a much better idea of where to be stopping off instead of wasting time in useless spots! Stevie a girl can never have to much of free wine tasting so thats been pushed right up the que ;)

As for the sailing Johnny thats an ambitious idea, dont know how good my sea legs are but sure only one way to find out :)

Also im from Dublin.

Not to push the Whitsundays but it was one of the highlights of my 2 months on the east coast!!! If you are a bit worried about sailing the Avatar is the boat for you... It is a trimaran (3 hulls) so there is nowehere near as much roll as you would have on a single hulled boat... Our days were spent snorkelling around the reefs, lying on the net between the hulls "sipping" wine and beer and the nights spent having a good laugh with the crew & other guys on the boat. If you reckon you can manage it defo give it a go, you'll love it!!!

Have a great trip, Jonny

Guest Sarah99

ok ok ur convincing me :) apart from the snorkeling part did i mention im terrified of fish hahaha but this sipping wine while sailing along sounds like a dream

Cheers Johnny

Whitsundays & Fraser Island was best trips on East Coast - 2night/3 day trips. (Koala adventures) I felt the boat trip to the Whitsundays was alot better than the one we did from Cairns.

Hunter Vally is good - but with your limited time and the fact that you will be in Melbourne - there will be plenty of wine tasting trips you can do there. As you will need a good few days to get around Sydney.

You can do a day trip to Nimbin from Byron Bay, yes its an experiance - ours was not too good as someone smoked too much and spewed everywhere.

Where are you flying in to??

Guest Sarah99

Im flying into Cairns and go to stay a day or two there and go see the waterfalls etc and recover from the jetlag, looked into gettin a camper to hire the whole way down to Sydney dont know if thats a bit foolish but looks to be a bit cheaper then busing it.

Haha nimbin sounds good, dont worry i learnt my lesson the hard way in Amsterdam :) Good advice about Melbourne ill save my wine trips for there