Social Workers moving to Darwin in 2012/13

lychee123456

Hi Raptz 1981 & Saraloo81,

Nice to read your posts, I arrive 3rd September to start work 10th so only a week between for me too, I actually finish my UK post on 30th!!! Aug.

Anyway it will be hectic but worth it I hope, wouldn't want too much time in between as it is hard to leave old life as well.

So nice to see positive feedback so far about the move, ours has been handled so efficiently by DCF, have been emailing a contact in Casuarina office already, HCL set this up for us and we have shared emails for most recent group of recruits coming over via HCL.

Also nice to see positive feedback in general about living near,in and around Darwin I am feeling really happy to be coming based on this.... except for the mosquito's!!

Be nice to meet up and or enhance support in place already for new arrivals and or set up a support network/group maybe for future migrating recruits as I believe DCF have a long term recruitment need??

Caseloads at work sound fair, pretty much numbers I was expecting, so thanks for sharing that info.

Can't wait to put some faces to names in the coming months.

Role on 1st September when we fly over.

Hi sounds great, lets arrange a meet up late September, just before the rainy season?

Hi Yes I'm keen to meet up,end of September sounds good, hopefully we can make contact via emails in the office system!

Anyway if not will try and post on here sometime in September.

Good luck to everyone moving over August,will cacth you up in September!!

Guest cal123

Hi

I have been reading all your interesting posts and wondered if you would shed some light on the whole relocation process where you started and how long did it take from start of the process to flying out? I am sat in miserable Hampshire thinking I really should make a move and enquire but not sure of what the process involves? Also whats included in the relocation package? Did you get a choice od where your posted too? Have you all sold your homes here or rented them out? Sorry for all the questions.

Hi cal123 if you search on seek.com.au you will come across the different agencies recruiting on behalf of the nT govt. each agency offers a similar relocation package which generally consists of flights, shipping of furniture/belongings, temp acomodation., short term hire car and visa application cost covered.

You need to have some PQ child protection experience I think it's about 6-12 months, be Gscc registered and other than that you go through a normal interview process either via phone or face to face and then about three months later you will be on your way if you get the job. As far as choice you are given some preferences to make, it doesn't mean you will get it though.

I haven't sold my house, we rented out. The housing market was so bad when we left it just didn't seem worth it.

All in all, I turned up to an interview signed some forms and the rest of the stress was handled by the recruitment company and the NT govt workforce team.

I was recruited by sugarman.

Hope this helps

Sarah

Guest Raptz1981

I'm in- Sounds like plan! It's good that HCL set that up for you, nice to know people are in the same boat, rather than just assume all will be well! And wow, you must literally clock off work and jump on that 35 hr flight I'm so looking forward to!

Also saraloo, thanks for clarifying re. Case load, I did ask that question in the interview and was met by a 'joke' asking if I could manage 100! Ha. Ha.

Looking forward to it!

See you in Darwin .... (Let's keep in touch re arrival etc. )

Rachel

To all my full name is Sarah Waldram look for me on internal mail or make attempts now I you know how the NT Govt emails addresses are laid out. Don't wanna get told off for putting emails up here.

Good luck to all wereever in the process you are it's an exciting challenge

Sarah

Guest Raptz1981

Hi cal, exact same as saraloo says, I was actually looking for work in new Zealand , which I found, but no where near the offer that the Darwin posts were offering! Which has all turned out to work ( although I'm not there yet!) we have rented our house out too, not sold, but that's just because it suits us better. Go for it, it can't harm, and even just by researching for the interview and learning about the NT and social work in oz, might just spur you on- certainly did me!

Hi all, we fly out in three days...very excited!!!!!!

Hi all we are finally here and I’m loving it!!! The place is amazing, so many things to see and do and the people are very friendly. I’m also happy that the community is very multicultural, this is very comforting.

I have to admit that initially I felt a little overwhelmed, we were in a Country that we knew very little about and on the first day, I got lost and had to go into the local police station to get my directions home! This has quickly been resolved with the purchase of a sat nav!!

Also I’m finding that most things, like England have to be done online, therefore we have quickly purchased a wifi dongle too.

The support from the DCF has been exemplary and they have made my transition that much smoother. The DCF accommodation is also of a high standard.

As I have only been here for three days (seems like more but in a good way), I can’t really comment on anything else. However I do feel that this move was the best move for my family. x

WoW!!! You did it and it sounds like you made the right choice , can't wait to join you and thanks for the info it reassures me greatly.

Yes I did!!!! Look forward to welcoming you. I will email you my contact number, so at least you have someone to call on when you are ready.

If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer them!

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
Guest toadstool75

Hi Lychee,

My partner is starting social work with DCF in a couple of months. We are looking into wifi dongles for mobile broadband in Darwin. Would you be kind enough to share your experiences? We are trying to work out at the moment which networks actually operate in Darwin and what price structures are like.

Thanks

Guest happinesswithin

Hi, I've only just discovered this thread and enjoying reading everyone's posts! I'll be arriving in Darwin in October to start work with DCF, although not sure yet where I'll be based, or even living. It's useful seeing what people make of social work in Darwin compared with the UK- have to admit I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it too!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I currently use a Telestra Dongle. It cost $90 for the dongle and comes with 5gb. After that you can top u from about $30. It costs $180 for 12gb, which Im currently using. Please note that Skype really eats the credit. I used my 5gb in 6 days being on skype. Although its expensive, I have no problem with Telstra. There is also vodaphone but the coverage is not as good. hope this helps. x

• 1 month later...
Guest toadstool75
Hi I currently use a Telestra Dongle. It cost $90 for the dongle and comes with 5gb. After that you can top u from about $30. It costs $180 for 12gb, which Im currently using. Please note that Skype really eats the credit. I used my 5gb in 6 days being on skype. Although its expensive, I have no problem with Telstra. There is also vodaphone but the coverage is not as good. hope this helps. x

thanks for your answer lychee, sorry for the late reply! x