Social Workers moving to Darwin in 2012/13

lychee123456

Hi all,

My family and I will be moving to Darwin in August 2012, as I have secured a social work position with the DCF.

As they are others making the move shortly, it would be good to share any tips, views, comments etc.

I’m feeling very nervous but equally excited!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lychee123456Hope your well, it is a big move but I can assure you for us it has been the best move ever. We moved out to Darwin in may. I too secured a post a dcf through the uk campaign. I am here with my partner son 17 and daughter 10. Do you know what team you will be on? Tell me a bit about your family dynamics and will let you know if I can relate any info back or just ask me specific questions and I will try to answer them.Good luck with it all, Darwin is a great place and is surrounded by beauty, it's blooming hot mind!! But we are coping well.Sarah

Hi all,My family and I will be moving to Darwin in August 2012, as I have secured a social work position with the DCF.As they are others making the move shortly, it would be good to share any tips, views, comments etc.I’m feeling very nervous but equally excited!!!!!

Hi,

I have 2 friends who work in child protection in Darwin and love it. they have said there is loads to do but that things are expensive. I am looking to make the move next year but cannot decide if I should go Darwin or elsewhere. Until then it will have to be research! I hope you enjoy it and good luck!

Hi, saraloo81

thanks your reply. I think I'm going to be based in Casurina or Palmerstone, not sure yet. Are you orignially from Wolverhampton? thats where I'm from! Small world!!! We only have a few days before we go but would love to keep in touch once I'm there, who knows we may be working together? Im happy to message you my email address if thats okay?

Lychee

Hi,

I have 2 friends who work in child protection in Darwin and love it. they have said there is loads to do but that things are expensive. I am looking to make the move next year but cannot decide if I should go Darwin or elsewhere. Until then it will have to be research! I hope you enjoy it and good luck!

Hi Davo1,

Thanks for that. I will let you know how I can get on!

Guest LeeLee82

Hi all, I am considering doing the same, havent put my application in yet but have been speaking to recruitment companies. Am quite worried about working in the heat! Would be good if you could keep us up to date about how you get on?! Best of luck x

Guest cal123

Hi

I am originally from wolverhampton. Now in Hampshire. Looking just starting to consider Australia. I am a social worker my husband is a Project engineer. Was initially thinking to go via his job route first but reading your posts now thinking maybe I should go the social work route?

How did you start? Who are the best agencies to contact and does your job include relocation? If so what did you get in the package? Sorry for all the questions...lol....Whats Darwin like to live..is there lots of Brits?xx

Hi

I am originally from wolverhampton. Now in Hampshire. Looking just starting to consider Australia. I am a social worker my husband is a Project engineer. Was initially thinking to go via his job route first but reading your posts now thinking maybe I should go the social work route?

How did you start? Who are the best agencies to contact and does your job include relocation? If so what did you get in the package? Sorry for all the questions...lol....Whats Darwin like to live..is there lots of Brits?xx

Hi, I was recruited by Sugarman, they are based in London and Australia. They have been fantastic and very supportive. I have secuured a position as a Adavanced parctitioner in child protection and it inculdes a very good reloacation package.

I wont know how Darwin is until i get there as I have never been, never been to Aus either but i will let you know soon!

Hi all, I am considering doing the same, havent put my application in yet but have been speaking to recruitment companies. Am quite worried about working in the heat! Would be good if you could keep us up to date about how you get on?! Best of luck x

Hi i will keep you all posted through this forum!!!!!

Hi lychee

not from wolves but lived for the past 7 years, lived on the Stafford rd in ford houses, my partner is from there and he is true yam yam.

Send me your email, it would be nice to keep in touch, I am based at casuarina. It's a nice little team.

Look forward to hearing from you.

sarah

thanks your reply. I think I'm going to be based in Casurina or Palmerstone, not sure yet. Are you orignially from Wolverhampton? thats where I'm from! Small world!!! We only have a few days before we go but would love to keep in touch once I'm there, who knows we may be working together? Im happy to message you my email address if thats okay?

Lychee

As far recruitment goes for the others, I too used sugarman and they were very supportive. You work in a air conditioned office and have air conditioned cars so half the time at work you don't realise how hot it is out side. We have had no issue with high costs in fact we have saved quite a bit since being here. Busses are free for all students, so both my kids get on free. There are a few water parks scattered around that are either free or cheap and very good. The kids have loved it. My son has just walked into a job and will be starting college this week, lots of opportunities he never had at home. The only thing we have found to be expensive is eating out and drinks whilst out so we just stay at home and BBQ and go out once in a while there are the free bbqs all over and at the beach front so you are never short of a new place or new view.

The work is different I spent the first few weeks saying " it's not like that back home" but have settled into it better, it's trying at times but what CP role isn't. Lots of things are changing here in the NT which is a good thing.

There aren't as many brits here as other places, although its nice to hear a familiar accent now and again and there are a few here at work. This is the real Australia lots of indigenous Australians and a huge variety of other nationalities. It's an interesting place to live.

Hope that helps

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

What an informative post. We are both RMN's waiting on the slow AHPRA process to end. Hoping to be in Darwin by Ocober/November. Can't wait! I've been consuming everything 'Darwin' trying to gain as much information as I can before we arrive. Good to hear lots of positives.

Ohhhh how exciting, my Mum is an RMN and is also coming out in October. I think this place is for people with an open mind, it's a bit like marmite (other yeast based spreads are available) you either love it or hate it. Most I have met love it, not suffered a wet season yet. But I believe it's survivable lol. You will arrive just in time for the well talked about "build up"

Good luck

Ooh that's exciting having your family over. Where will your mum work? OH and me have jobs in top end mental health service.The manager said working in the top end is 'no tropical holiday!' At least she was honest. I've heard you should give 2 wet and 2 dry before you kind of acclimatise.

Where in Darwin are you? It's hard at this end but we had kind of talked of Nightcliffe but hear it floods a lot but we'll look into it. We'll be based at the Royal Darwin Hospital which also provides temporary shared accommodation so we'll be able to do more of a reccie once we're there. Keep posting how you're getting on. Very interesting hearing from someone 'who's been through the process and survived!'

Thanks, Claire x

We live I'm Anula in temp accomodation but moving to Brinkin this weekend into a short term let, my daughter attends nighcliff primary and we too hope to end up there after this let. It was just really hard finding somewhere to rent but that is due to it bring the dry and every body wants a piece of Darwin at this time of year. I thInk that every where is liable to potential flooding. Just a pitfall to living in the tropics. The weather since we have been here has been amazing so at least there is some guarenteed of beautiful weather aside of the tropical downpours. Mum hasn't really looked yet, she has a NZ passport and contacted a recruitment agency maybe the one you said they just told her to get in touch in August time and they will keep her updated with possible jobs.

It's a stressful time I know, but all worth it on the end.

X

Ooh that's exciting having your family over. Where will your mum work? OH and me have jobs in top end mental health service.The manager said working in the top end is 'no tropical holiday!' At least she was honest. I've heard you should give 2 wet and 2 dry before you kind of acclimatise.

Where in Darwin are you? It's hard at this end but we had kind of talked of Nightcliffe but hear it floods a lot but we'll look into it. We'll be based at the Royal Darwin Hospital which also provides temporary shared accommodation so we'll be able to do more of a reccie once we're there. Keep posting how you're getting on. Very interesting hearing from someone 'who's been through the process and survived!'

Thanks, Claire x

Hi Sarah, your posts have been very informative and yes its nice to hear someone speak so positive. I wll be having the shippers in on 26th, so things are gettinge very stressful! Do you have any suggestions about things I should definately ship? We have two years supply of clothes and shoes already!!!

One suggestion is either all or nothing, we have lived for three months with just a suitcase each, the govt houses are well equipped and have everything you will need for the time waiting for belongings. You won't need a lot of clothes or shoes flip flops are standard dress. You will not need any winter type clothes...lol maybe a few cardigans as the office can get quite cold from a/c.

Its hard to say what is a must, if you have it and it will fit in the container bring it. Electrical goods are cheaper here than the rest of oz as its so close to Asia. But we have sent our contents over and it due to arrive anytime now.

Hi cal123,

I made contact with lychee via PIO and am in a similar position but was recruited via HCL based out of London office.

Had face to face interview and like lychee DCF are providing very good relocation package and support, good job offer and have been very efficient from start to now. HCL have put me in touch with other people already working over there and we have shared emails between other recruits.

I go out end of August. Worried about wet season but from reading comments on here most people who want to make it work seem to like Darwin area, seems to offer some good things for families, not so sure about more remote locations not seen much posted from places like Katherine or Alice Springs etc.

Good luck

Guest Raptz1981

Hello!

We too are moving to Darwin as an advanced practitioner with DCF and I start training on the 20th for a week before work starts in the palermerson office- very excited, cannot wait to tie things up here and get there!

So far ( fingers crossed) all has been smooth with information, flights, apartment etc, just wish I'd left a little more time to experience Darwin before work starts!

Maybe see you there!

Guest Raptz1981

Glad to hear settling in seems to have gone well for you- we are three weeks away from flying over, looking forward to the build up, nervous about the work and the changes, but hearing lots of good things certainly helps! Has been useful joining this and getting a perspective from people already doing it! Glad to hear you can walk into a job, my parter thinks he's going to be a 'man of leisure!'

Guest Raptz1981

Hi, I'm just about to head over in three weeks, I went via Reid recruitment, who were ok, but now am dealing with recolation workers who are super helpful. With hindsight at the time, sugarman were offering interviews in London, whereas mine was over the phone, which made it that little bit more difficult! But in terms of relocation package, all they said is true, and has been easy & straightforward ; which is down to dcf rather than the recruitment agency! Go for it and good luck, all the posts on here seem to suggest its turned out ok for others!

Hi Raptz 1981, it's all go I imagine, I too only had a week before starting but have managed to see so much. Every weekend we have drive out and gone somewhere different with the family.

Its lovely weather at the moment, very bearable in fact most locals will say its cold. Not to a Brit though, it's just right.

Dependent on what your other half does I am sure there will be something out there, buy the local paper on a sat once you get here that's where they all are as well gumtree and career one.

Good luck with it all Sarah

Guest Raptz1981

Glad you only had a week too- people keep saying I'm crazy! And thanks for the tip, we'll be getting that local paper ASAP!! He's a teaching assistant for children wih additional learning needs but also does residential work with children, lots of jobs hes looked at seem to be a huge drive away, which defeats the object of us going over together!

How have you found the case load, working hours and policies and procedures in comparison to the uk? Was the initial training useful?

Cheers in advance for any help

I think this time of year jobs like that are a little less accessible but come the wet season things like that may change. I don't know for sure just going off what i have been told. There are a couple of special needs schools and some special needs residential facilities.

The work for us is fr different from the UK is some ways because of the lack of systems and protocols and old fashioned legislation. I like it though, I am onto the challenge and looking forward to the many changes set for the NT.

My case load averages about 20-25 how ever we hold a mix of family support, case management and CP. it's nothing like my case load back home juggling court, investigations, conferences etc.

The pre training is a good introduction to the NT and Australia and I think you will take some valuable resources away as well as meet some other people.

Good luck Sarah

Hi Raptz 1981 & Saraloo81,

Nice to read your posts, I arrive 3rd September to start work 10th so only a week between for me too, I actually finish my UK post on 30th!!! Aug.

Anyway it will be hectic but worth it I hope, wouldn't want too much time in between as it is hard to leave old life as well.

So nice to see positive feedback so far about the move, ours has been handled so efficiently by DCF, have been emailing a contact in Casuarina office already, HCL set this up for us and we have shared emails for most recent group of recruits coming over via HCL.

Also nice to see positive feedback in general about living near,in and around Darwin I am feeling really happy to be coming based on this.... except for the mosquito's!!

Be nice to meet up and or enhance support in place already for new arrivals and or set up a support network/group maybe for future migrating recruits as I believe DCF have a long term recruitment need??

Caseloads at work sound fair, pretty much numbers I was expecting, so thanks for sharing that info.

Can't wait to put some faces to names in the coming months.

Role on 1st September when we fly over.