Still need 12 months from the last 24 for Skills Assessment??

bigbadcon

HI folks,

I have noticed with the new visas under skill select you no longer need to have 12 months work experience from the last 24 for the visa.

This is great for a friend of mine who has 8 years experience as a painter decorator.

Or so we thought, he is now looking into getting a skills assessment done with the TRA but it mentions you need 12 months expereince from the last 24.

Whats the point in taking it off the visa if you still need it for the skills assessment???

Any help would be appreciated....

Does there need to be a reason? If the TRA require 12 out of the last 24 months then there is no reason for Skillselect to also require the same.

It might be the case that other assessing bodies for other occupations might not require 12 out of the last 24 months.

Having the 12 out of 24 months in the skillselect might over complicate the process for some people. If the assessing body deem it necessary then it's necessary if they don't then it's not.

Unfortunately, TRA are a law unto themselves and what they say goes I'm afraid:mad:

and they are unaccountable too.

Dodge them if possible. It is often possible to do so.

Skills assessing authorities (and states) apply their own assessment criteria and make you love the baby too.

Skills assessing authorities (and states) apply their own assessment criteria and make you love the baby too.

You are very right. When I spoke to DIAC and explained the difficulties that we have encountered with TRA, she said she we are not the first and wouldn't be the last and said they are a nightmare. We were also told a long while ago that DIAC wanted to rein TRA in and try to make them similar to Vetasses. It is funny how they both have the same goal, but work very different and have completely different criteria on how to assess skilled workers.

When you say avoid them if possible... Is there another way you could be assessed without going through the TRA?

When you say avoid them if possible... Is there another way you could be assessed without going through the TRA?

Possibly, depending on the particulars of the case. It might be possible to avoid a skills assessment altogether.

Archived