What Visa for daughter we are leaving behind?

Dianne_W

Hope to be in Oz before Christmas and dear daughter has suddenly realised we ARE actually going and has started to think about joining us. She is 23, living with her boyfriend (who she is trying to persuade to go as well).

My questions are:

What type of visa should she be looking at?

Would she be better off marrying her boyfriend or not marrying him?

Grateful for all answers (or if anyone can 'bump off' the useless boyfriend?) :biggrin:

Guest Smithy1982

Sorry not able to help but sure someone else can, just made me laugh With the boyfriend quote hahaha, nice guy then!!

Good luck with the move!

Hope to be in Oz before Christmas and dear daughter has suddenly realised we ARE actually going and has started to think about joining us. She is 23, living with her boyfriend (who she is trying to persuade to go as well).

My questions are:

What type of visa should she be looking at?

Would she be better off marrying her boyfriend or not marrying him?

Grateful for all answers (or if anyone can 'bump off' the useless boyfriend?) :biggrin:

Do either of them have any skills?

Daughter works in a bank as a banking advisor but also has cabin crew experience.

Boyfriend: Er......................... he is invisible as far as tax and insurance go. He works for his dad cash in hand doing all sorts of stuff (no idea what don't really care) :mad:

Lol we are in the same position except the boyfriend does work and is a good guy. Our daughter isn't to keen on coming over but I am sure once the rest of us leave and she has visited us she will want to emigrate aswell. Am not sure after emigrating how long it is before you can sponsor family members, as I think the rules have changed.

I doubt her line of work is on the skills list.

Perhaps she should look into a WHV for a year, and she makes sure she does the 3 months regional work to qualify for a second year. And in that time she can hopefully find someone to sponsor her.

A WHV also gives her a chance to explore Aus, have an adventure and see if she really likes it or loves it enough to want to settle out there.

There's no easy way for non-skilled adults to get to stay here permanently - even if family members already live here.

Family sponsorship is all but gone nowadays. You'd need to live in a regional area to sponsor and the person being sponsored still needs skills.

If a skilled visa is a no-go, then just about the only option is for your daughter to come over on a WHV for a year (or possibly two) and hope to pick-up an employer-sponsored visa whilst here. Alternatively a student visa might be an option. Neither of these will necessarily lead to PR, though.

I'd recommend a look at the visa wizard on the DIAC site to see if there is any visa that fits. Alternatively consult a migration agent.

Could she not get a remaining relative visa?

Processing times for LRR visa currently are 12 years, and will just get longer and longer. She could apply for it onshore from her working holiday visa, and would get a bridging visa until it was decided. But likely due to her boyfriend she would not be considered a LRR.

WHV would be best option, or student visa which would be expensive and can be difficult to get PR from.

Or she re-trains in something (nursing) in UK and then applys to come after.

It may be worth running through her options with a Registered Migration Agent.

Archived