Another unsccesfull tra outcome

The Adamsons

Feeling rather deflated today, got the very unwanted unsuccesfull TRA outcome letter. however here's my story.

Applied for TRA on 16th April, TRA received on 23 April. I applied as a gasfitter as I have been working with British gas for the last 12 years, Prior to that I was a Mechanical fitter/turner, fully time served, ONC and half an HNC in mechanical engineering, I done this for 11 years. After redundancy I booked up for the college to train as a gas engineer, my original trade/apprenticeship was recognised and therefor I could qualify without having to complete an apprenticeship as a gas fitter. There's where the problem lies, TRA say as I dont have an official apprenticeship as a gas fitter I am not suitably qualified. I wasnt planning on being a gas fitter in oz and I was going to return to my original trade as a mechanical fitter/turner but as I have not been working as this for 12 out of the last 24 months I couldn't apply as this.

The only way around this that I can see is if I return to my original trade and do this for 12 months and reapply, or I could try and get a sponsor 457 visa which I very much dont want to do.

Hopefully I'm missing something and all you helpfull POIers could point me in the right direction

Here's hoping!!!!

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm really sorry to hear this, it may be worth having a chat with an agent to see what they suggest.

It may be work running you case past a registered migration agent - after 1 July the 12 months out of 24 work experiance requirement has been removed from all GSM visas. And points are giving for number of years work experience in the last 10 years.

Speak to a RMA, but it may be worth getting your skills assessed from your original trade - points pass mark has been reduced to 60 on 1 July. Im sure fitter is on SOL 1.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-tested-migration-fact-sheet.pdf

http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/2012/04/24/changes-to-points-tested-skilled-migration-visas/

thats sounds quite promising Lebourvellec and thanks for your very usefull input. I was thinking about contacting overseas immigration in Edinburgh about this as it looks like if it's going to work it may be quite complicated. Always good to get some positive feedback, thanks.

It does surprise me though that Australia has a huge skills shortage and yet someone like myself (not being bigheaded) has 2 trades and they make things so difficult.

we visited them earlier on in the year and they said it was do-able, however friends of ours who emigrated last week were very helpful and knowledgable so we thought we had it cracked but hey, it's the TRA we're talking about, Oh to save a couple of grand. I think I'll be on the phone tomorrow lol!

thats sounds quite promising Lebourvellec and thanks for your very usefull input. I was thinking about contacting overseas immigration in Edinburgh about this as it looks like if it's going to work it may be quite complicated. Always good to get some positive feedback, thanks.

It does surprise me though that Australia has a huge skills shortage and yet someone like myself (not being bigheaded) has 2 trades and they make things so difficult.

I am really sorry to hear about your experience with TRA. I'm afraid they seem to be a law unto themselves and agents are not keen on dealing with them because they are sticking to the letter of the law and there is no leeway whereas Vetasses are much simpler to deal with and their criteria is less strict. My OH has been self employed in his trade for the last 7 years and they will not assess him until he has a min of 8 years. Once he has 8 years, they will only award 5 points for 3 years as they consider the first five years as being time served apprenticeship even though he has an AQF III in his trade. I would suggest that you speak to an agent to see what they can suggest. We have submitted evidence to TRA of apprenticeships in Australia for our trade which are 3-4 years, so we really don't understand where they get their 5 years from.

Yes you are right there is a skills shortage and it will continue. I know and appreciate that Oz want the best, but a lot of people seem to hit a brick wall when it comes to TRA.

I wish you the best of Luck.

I am really sorry to hear about your experience with TRA. I'm afraid they seem to be a law unto themselves and agents are not keen on dealing with them because they are sticking to the letter of the law and there is no leeway whereas Vetasses are much simpler to deal with and their criteria is less strict. My OH has been self employed in his trade for the last 7 years and they will not assess him until he has a min of 8 years. Once he has 8 years, they will only award 5 points for 3 years as they consider the first five years as being time served apprenticeship even though he has an AQF III in his trade. I would suggest that you speak to an agent to see what they can suggest. We have submitted evidence to TRA of apprenticeships in Australia for our trade which are 3-4 years, so we really don't understand where they get their 5 years from.

Yes you are right there is a skills shortage and it will continue. I know and appreciate that Oz want the best, but a lot of people seem to hit a brick wall when it comes to TRA.

I wish you the best of Luck.

Thanks very much for your advice candygirl it's much appreciated, as far as I can make out if your trade is on the TRA list then thats who you've got to use isn't it? It would be great if I would be able to use an easier agency like VETASSES but not sure if I could, will look into in though. It's becoming all too a common theme on here with TRA failing the majority of people although this may not be the case and it just seems that way!!!!

Guest fultonclan

Hi, just wanted to let you know that we used Overseas Emigration in Edinburgh (via our agent) for my hubby's skills assessment etc and they were fab, I highly recommend them.

Good luck

Rach x

Thanks very much for your advice candygirl it's much appreciated, as far as I can make out if your trade is on the TRA list then thats who you've got to use isn't it? It would be great if I would be able to use an easier agency like VETASSES but not sure if I could, will look into in though. It's becoming all too a common theme on here with TRA failing the majority of people although this may not be the case and it just seems that way!!!!

Thanks Rach, I was in contact with them today and they were very helpfull. Hopefully they can sort out my predicament!

Archived