Re: Advice about Cost of living

Chops1963

Hi

I`m currently on a457 visa, but will lose my job next month (i`ve been here since Nov 2010) ihave been offered a job in Hobart, but it is a big drop in salary (about $ 15k) to $60000 plus super.

I`m a single guy inmy late forties, and need to be able to survive for at least 2 years until ican get PR. Can anyone tell me if this is a good enough salary to stay on, ihave to let the guy know on Monday (26/05) he`s being pushy, and i have someconcerns about taking the job.

Does anyone knowwhat the job situation is like in Tasmania? I work as a Production Manager(Food/FMCG background). An option i thought of was to try and transfer toanother Tasmanian company, if it doesn`t work out so that i can still get myPR.

There is another jobin VIC, which, i`m waiting to hear back on, and they would want to interview meimmediately, and i`m keeping my fingers crossed that they do, as this is $30 kmore than this role, better company and boss as well.

Currently, i`mstressed out to the max, and can`t think clearly, so any advice would begreatly appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Andrew, sorry you are in this situation, I hope the Vic job comes through for you as it sounds like you would be happier there. I don't know anything about Tasmania apart from its suppose to be beautiful. Hopefully someone will come along soon to help you out there.

Hi Andrew,

The average median household income in Tasmania is about $51,000. So that includes households with more than 1 person earning and households with children.

It is lower than other states but rental and house prices here are also lower than other cities.

I would say that, if a single person couldn't live comfortably on that income in Hobart, they would have very expensive tastes.

I don't know anything about your particular industry, but if you are close to agricultural production, then that is one area which is growing in Tasmania - and will do for the foreseeable future.

Hi

I`m currently on a457 visa, but will lose my job next month (i`ve been here since Nov 2010) ihave been offered a job in Hobart, but it is a big drop in salary (about $ 15k) to $60000 plus super.

I`m a single guy inmy late forties, and need to be able to survive for at least 2 years until ican get PR. Can anyone tell me if this is a good enough salary to stay on, ihave to let the guy know on Monday (26/05) he`s being pushy, and i have someconcerns about taking the job.

Does anyone knowwhat the job situation is like in Tasmania? I work as a Production Manager(Food/FMCG background). An option i thought of was to try and transfer toanother Tasmanian company, if it doesn`t work out so that i can still get myPR.

There is another jobin VIC, which, i`m waiting to hear back on, and they would want to interview meimmediately, and i`m keeping my fingers crossed that they do, as this is $30 kmore than this role, better company and boss as well.

Currently, i`mstressed out to the max, and can`t think clearly, so any advice would begreatly appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

You have referred ot getting your PR once or twice. What is the plan you have for getting that? Surviving for two years in Tasmania does not mean you will get PR, what do you mean by transferring to another Tasmanian company so you can get PR? You don't appear to have a good grasp on how you can get PR ... apologies if I am mistaken.

. Can anyone tell me if this is a good enough salary to stay on, ihave to let the guy know on Monday (26/05) he`s being pushy, and i have someconcerns about taking the job.

This gives comparative rental costs in Australian cities and what you get for the median rent.

You'd certainly get more character in Hobart than Isabella Plains (sorry Isabella Plains :rolleyes:)

http://www.news.com.au/money/property/rental-squeeze-hits-in-australian-capital-cities/story-e6frfmd0-1226249371833http://www.news.com.au/money/property/rental-squeeze-hits-in-australian-capital-cities/story-e6frfmd0-1226249371833

And this gives the median house price in various cities.

http://www.aussiemove.com/costofliving/

Archived