Bringing Mattress?

ozindublin

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of getting quotes for removalists and need to ensure that if I take my double (very cosy) mattress, that it would fit into an Australian bought double bed frame.. I've googled the sizes, and on Wikipedia it says theres a 4cm difference in length... the UK/Irish mattress is longer (apparently?).

Has anyone taken their mattresses over from home & bought the frame in Australia?

Please let me know, cause if we cant squeeze it into a frame, we may aswell leave it here.

Thanks!smile.gif

A double is small in Aus. The Aus standard is a kingsize. You'd probably have a bit of leeway with a bedframe for a UK double, but I am sure others can tell you better than I.

I do know our UK kingsize on its own bedframe has a good inch of room to fit on the base, length wise. Its not a tight fit so the mattress can be dropped in to place easy enough rather than requiring huge effort.

If in doubt and if you've room, perhaps but a cheapish wooden base or something to bring with you for it.

UK - Standard double 54" x 75", also sold as 135 cm by 190 cm

Aus - Double 138 cm × 188 cm (54 in × 74 in)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stephen001

Hello, The frame and mattress of a bed is the prime factor for generating adequate comfort for the users; while a good choice can create an epitome of relaxation, a poor choice can spoil the entire set up with worst effect. Thanks

Hello, The frame and mattress of a bed is the prime factor for generating adequate comfort for the users; while a good choice can create an epitome of relaxation, a poor choice can spoil the entire set up with worst effect. Thanks

Thanks very much for that :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hi there, we've decided to take it. We love our mattress, and its only 3 years old. By all accounts it may be 1cm longer than the australian mattress, but we've decided to risk it fitting into a frame... I report back when we're over there in a couple of months!

Archived