Visa Granted, Can't Sell Yet: What Next?!

anniefrombath

Hi gang,

Our visas were approved in early April 2012 (yay!): and about a week later our flat was trashed (flooded) by our neighbours above us messing about with the fire sprinklers (boo!). We've sorted out the contents, but waiting on the buildings insurance to arrange for renovation work to take place (should take 3 - 4 weeks once they get going.) Soooooo frustrating!

So after all the visa waiting it feels like we're in limbo again.

Once the flat is on the market we may have another 3 - 4 months to completion (assuming all goes quickly) and we both have 3 months notice to give at work. (We're champing at the bit as you can imagine!)

Which bits of "what next" d'you reckon we can usefully do with our time now? How easy is it to arrange removals - should we get quotes now even though we're not going anywhere (yet!), the place is in a bit of a state (carpet-less after our flooding and waiting on the work to get done): shall we hold off agents quotes on a sale?

And what happens on the "other side" if you send stuff in containers and don't know where (and when) you'll be living yet?

Any tips from those of you who have "been there and done it" would be really appreciated: obviously I'd like to make the most of this time...

ITCHING to get moving!

Annie

x

Congrats on the visa!!

I think most removal quotes are only valid for three months. That is what most of ours said anyway. With regards to having your stuff shipped and sorting a house at the other end most companies will also do storage for you if that is the case, at a cost of course. We are just hoping we get somewhere to live by the time our stuff arrives.

Hope you get the flat sorted out soon, fingers crossed for you guys x

I would get the flat sorted out and then contact estate agents regarding putting it on the market. There is no point getting removal quotes yet, I wouldn't think about that until you have at least put your notice in at work, so maybe 2 - 3 months in advance?

I really don't think there is a whole lot of practical stuff you can do at the moment. Why not plan to enjoy your remaining time in UK, visit places you have always meant to visit but not got round to. It might be a while before you get the chance to do so again.

Archived