My experience with IMAN - good and bad

Guest gordan

Guest gordan

I just want to say a few things about my experience with IMAN since I know a lot of people are using them.

We (me and my partner) are on Basic Visitor cover for two years already. First 18 months we didn't claim at all.

I've had operation in private hospital 6 months ago and it was fully paid. IMAN was quite efficient with that, apart from being a bit late with payment to hospital. Actually, once doctor's admin call them for that payment, they said it's checked as paid in their system??? but they processed that immediately after that call.

However, after the operation, for almost every follow-up examination and therapy (I've had quite a few) I was getting paid only 100% of MBS, while their schedule of Benefits document says: "SECTION 1.3 OUT- PATIENT CONTINUING TREATMENT FOLLOWING HOSPITALISATION 100% Cost". Then I had to call them and waste 20-30 minutes to get the outstanding amount acknowledged and processed.

Apparently, the 1.3 section is something open to discussion with their staff. I've been told various stories from their employees;

1. That it doesn't fully cover X-ray, but it fully covers doctor follow-up appointment.

2. It fully covers both.

3. It fully covers only the first follow-up appointment, and that this is their good will (that was quite funny), and each next follow-up is covered only 100% MBS.

4. It fully covers only therapies, no follow-up appointments.

It all comes down to your ability to negotiate the payment with their staff, which is a bit dodgy in my opinion. During the last conversation they admitted that the section 1.3 is not defined in details and that they have a lot of confusion with customers about that. Still they're doing nothing to resolve that.

So, once you get a quote make sure to query and get details about section 1.3 in writing if possible (email from them), you'll save yourself time in case you need to claim post-op later.

In case of doubt I can prove all above with documents (remittance advices sent from IMAN).

The good thing with IMAN, and there are a few actually; it's cheap option for 457 visa, you can arrange it from overseas and if your visa is rejected they say they will return your payment, they process claims within a week usually, which is quite quick in my opinion.

Feel free to contact me if I you want me to further clarify anything.

Archived