So unfair!!

J&T

We are trying to sort out our one-way flights to Perth and have been checking with various airlines re - baggage allowance.

Even though we have no intention of moving back to England and we are buying a business in Oz, we cannot get extra free baggage allowance on a 163 visa.

Yet, if you think about it, there are some people who get permanent residency, make the most of the extra baggage allowance, and then return after a few months. Thereby making their one way trip to Oz temporary!!

Seems so unfair! :frown:

Unless anyone else has a magic wand and can magic up an airline that will accept extra free allowance for this type of visa? We are a family of 6, so could do with as much help with possessions as possible without it being so costly.

Singapore Airlines said over the phone that we would probably be okay for the extra allowance but to confirm our visa by email. We emailed them, then they said no!

Guest acbenson

hi,I think we are in similar boats. I was just about to start asking flight companies about migrant flights. Could I be really cheeky and ask what you have found out already?We have 176 visas so I would curious to know if you knew which airlines, if any, would accept that?ThanksTony

hi,

I think we are in similar boats. I was just about to start asking flight companies about migrant flights. Could I be really cheeky and ask what you have found out already?

We have 176 visas so I would curious to know if you knew which airlines, if any, would accept that?Thanks

Tony

176 is a PR visa so you would get 40Kgs with Singapore or I think Emirates are still doing the 50Kg offer if you open an ANZ account.

we're in the same boat, going on 457 and will probably have to bring bare essentials and make do till our container arrives. A Lot of people on here have posted extra stuff over though - supposed to be much cheaper than paying extra baggage allowance.

Is it 20kgs per adult flying? Do kids get much allowance?

Emirates have 30kg as standard for economy iirc. 10 more than SA and 7 more than BA and Qantas. Might be worth looking at that route.

TBH I'd air freight any excess and be done with it. Gets to you within a few days and yes it costs, but probably not more than paying for excess when you fly.

SA migrant baggage allowance is for a specific visa type. Your one isn't it I'm afraid.

hi,I think we are in similar boats. I was just about to start asking flight companies about migrant flights. Could I be really cheeky and ask what you have found out already?We have 176 visas so I would curious to know if you knew which airlines, if any, would accept that?ThanksTony

You must have already been to Australia as you have had your visa for more than a year, in this case I don't believe you would get extras baggage allowance, they only do it for the first flight is my understanding. (Otherwise PR visa hodlers could have extra baggage every time they fly).

Some airlines have better deals than others anyway, it doesn't have to be super expensive to pay for it.

Just an idea for any who want to take extra baggage from UK to Aus, although it is not free! I recently returned to Aus and needed to bring back more than my baggage allowance would let me. I packed up 5 boxes weighing around 18kg each. I used a company called transglobal.co.uk - they give you an online quote and list all different carriers. I found UPS to be the cheapest. Each box cost on average about 70 pounds and went by airfreight. The service by UPS was fantastic, they collected my boxes at around 3.30pm and they flew out to Aus that same night! Four of my boxes arrived before I did!! I sent boxes in two separate consignments and I had to pay customs clearance on only one box at $55. This might sound a bit expensive but I was still 10kg over on arrival at the airport and they wanted to charge me 35 pound per kg - yes 350 pounds!!! Managed to negotiate to pay just half!! I should have sent another box!! Hope this helps!

Archived