Parent Visa

kellbell

Hi all, Just wondered if anyone had any experience with a Parent Visa. I know there is a whole thread but it mainly seems to be about the contributory route, something my mum would be unable to do.

She is 55 so would be able to work out here (either as a care worker or in my business) but I wondered whether its best apply onshore or offshore. Can she come out on a holiday visa and apply? Is it the same as another visa in that she'll go on and bridging visa? Can she work in that time? In the waiting period would she be entitiled to Medicare? Finally will she be entitled to a pension?

So many questions! Thanks in advance. x

Hi ,just bumping your post up so hopefully someone with answers will be along soon, if not i recommend you ring an agent (Go Matilda and Visa Bureau are 2 good ones) and see what visa options they think maybe open to your mum..

Cal x

If you're thinking about the non-contributory route the waiting period for this visa is around 15 years at the moment. So if you're mum is 55 at the moment she's going to be nearly 70 by the time she'll be able to come over.

I don't think she would be granted a bridging visa, and if she was she wouldn't be able to work. For the granting of the parent visa she'd also have to leave the country.

You're best bet is giving booklet 3 a read, has all you need to know in there http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1129.pdf

It is possible to apply for a non-contributory Parent visa onshore whilst on a visitor's visa (as long as there's not a No Further Stay condition on it).

Many people do this to get around having to do the long wait overseas. They normally get a bridging visa to cover the gap.

There are masses of disadvantages though:

1. No Medicare for 15 years except for the limited cover available under the reciprocal arrangement.

2. No working for 15 years as the original visitor's visa conditions apply. I believe you can apply for work rights if suffering financial hardship though.

3. No Australian Pension for 10 years after the visa is granted (so your Mum would get it around age 80).

4. No Centrelink assistance for 2 years after the visa is granted.

5. No travel overseas without getting permission (via a different bridging visa) first.

6. A medical is needed just before the visa is granted. By the age of 70, your Mum will be older and possibly frailer and could fail the medical. She would then have to return alone (to a country she hasn't lived in for 15 years) at that advanced age.

It might be better to apply for the contributory visa, if at all possible..

Archived