What happens next?

perfectmax

We have our visa and expect to go in February but wont be going directly to Oz but via Thailand as we have a family wedding so will be in Thailand for about 2/3 weeks. This all sounds lovely I know but I need to pack for 5 people for a holiday and forever.

Those who have made the move can you suggest a list of what comes next? We are going to rent our house out. Sell our cars and maybe leave the big items of furniture in the house and rent it furnished?

We really need some advice on moving money, booking somewhere to stay short term while we look for a rental in ox (shall we do it from here?) and any other things you can think of that I wont have considered....

*waits patiently for advice*

Thanks

Sian

OH did I mention we GOT A VISA!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOOO :)

Congrats on the visa,

Our move ended up being a big rush. Our house sold then it was meant to exchange min, tues-fri, mon, fri, then after 5 weeks still no exchange! We decided to fly out anyway and take a chance (exchanged 2 weeks after landing).

It was a worry as we only had a small amount of money.

Anyway, landed in Perth on 176 visa, customs no probs, no questions asked, no proof of funds and didn't even check our bags!

We had hired a holiday let (look on tripadvisor) for 2 weeks as EVERYTHING was booked even tho its winter here. By some miracle we got a perm rent in the first week which is pretty damn lucky. My advice, go for the smaller ones a couple of mins away from the popular ones as you get more chance. If the areas popular loads of people turn up.

To get a rent you will need 3 refs, 6 weeks rent upfront, ID, letter from previous landlord/mortgage lender confirming you always paid.

Without a perm address you don't get anywhere here. No medicare card, schools etc so make that your priority.

Hiring a car is no prob which we have been doing the last 3 weeks, buy a sat nav tho you will need it! We got good deal in Dick Smiths.

If you buy a car, try and get one at a dealer as you get more comeback if needed. Buying private your buggered if you have probs with the car etc.

Try and set up a bank account before you land, Westpac were great with us. Set it up online then when you land, take your ID and sort the cards etc, again you need an address for cards to be sent to.

Other than that, you can't really plan here. You can't do anything til you have your perm address after which things flow.

Schools, kids go to nearest one so be careful which area you pick and check the catchment.

Money, moving our money was a total nightmare! The bank kept giving us wrong numbers etc but then we had to transfer from this side so if you are in uk, its way easier. Money corp are meant to be good also.

Not sure where you are landing but realestate.com.au has rentals on for you to search.

Good luck.

We have our visa and expect to go in February but wont be going directly to Oz but via Thailand as we have a family wedding so will be in Thailand for about 2/3 weeks. This all sounds lovely I know but I need to pack for 5 people for a holiday and forever.

Those who have made the move can you suggest a list of what comes next? We are going to rent our house out. Sell our cars and maybe leave the big items of furniture in the house and rent it furnished?

We really need some advice on moving money, booking somewhere to stay short term while we look for a rental in ox (shall we do it from here?) and any other things you can think of that I wont have considered....

*waits patiently for advice*

Thanks

Sian

OH did I mention we GOT A VISA!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOOO :)

Congratulations on visa.

I would think again about renting the house out furnished, might be better to ship furniture rather than have to buy it all again here. Set up costs, usually require GBP (unless you earn a lot very quickly) so it would be very expensive. Also most people prefer to let unfurnished I thought?

You won't be able to find a permanent rental from overseas, not a good idea even if you could. It is often reported that the pictures on the main websites are taken from very flattering camera angles if you know what I mean. Get a short term holiday let for maybe about a month to give you time to find somewhere. We just serached for serviced apartments in the usual hotel type websites.

My experience was different to the previous poster, in that I had no trouble whatsoever organising things like medicare, tax file numer from a temporary address. Also I did not have to supply three references or a letter from my mortgage provider / previous landlord to secure a rental. We did one morning of open days which was not successful (the houses were not as nice as the pictures) and from then we mainly did private viewings which were very easy to organise and less stressful than the open days so I recommend that.

Organising a bank account before you get there is one less thing to do upon arrival. We opened an account with NAB online, picked the cards up on arrival. Transferred money with UKFOREX / OZFOREX, set up a broker account with them whilst you are still in the UK and it makes transferring very easy.

Archived