Good Schools in Perth

Jambos

Dear all

We are looking to move to Perth WA in Jan-13. We have 2 girls they will be 10 & 13. We would ideally like them to go to the same school. Other than the school profile on "My School" website there is little more info available!

Does anybody know of any good forums where schools are discussed?

We have been considering Ellenbrook Christian College / Helena College. What has anybody heard about these schools?

What schools have or are you considering and why?

What have you heard from friends and family in Perth already?

Would like a good all round school not just centered around the academic side.

Sorry for so many questions, but this us a very important topic.

:chatterbox:

Any information would be greatful

:smile:

It's all down to money - both in terms of school fees and rent in the areas of good schools. If money is no object then you could live in the Western suburbs and send your daughters to Methodist Ladies college, St Hilda's, Presbyterian Ladies College -all kindy to Year 12 schools at a nice $20,000 a year in fees. They all perform in the top ten of best schools in WA every year, that's of course if you could get past the waiting lists. Nice house to rent in Claremont - $1500 a week min. but 15 min drive to the city, ten to the beach and your local shopping centre is the most exclusive in the state! However back in the real world, and out of the Western suburbs bubble.....there are no Govt k-12 schools and not all the private ones go all the way through either. If you want them both in the same school that restricts you. Cheaper option would be to forget that idea and use the money you'd spend on fees to try and get a rental within the catchment area of some of the best Govt schools in Perth - Rossmoyne, Shenton College (sorry western suburbs again), Churchlands, Wiletton, Applecross, Duncraig, Leeming, Kelmscott and Carine.

In terms of exam results Helena College did much better than Ellen Brook - but exam results aren't everything.

Thanks Bob.

The exam results are important but they are just one element . For me the most important thing is that they have fun a well rounded education / experience with good supportive team behind them. Also being in the real world $20k per year per child is not a reality for us. Really appreciate your response Bob1. Are there anyforums that discuss these schools and their experiences?

Thanks Bob.

The exam results are important but they are just one element . For me the most important thing is that they have fun a well rounded education / experience with good supportive team behind them. Also being in the real world $20k per year per child is not a reality for us. Really appreciate your response Bob1. Are there anyforums that discuss these schools and their experiences?

Oh forgot we would prefer mixed schools

I will be in the same position in July next year, am doing a recce this Xmas and any info as to schools and areas would be much appreciated. Our boys schooling is on a level par with location for us, however we are also not minted lol but would consider a slightly cheap independent school.

I don't know of any forums specifically for education and really it is very subjective. You'll have someone slagging off one school and then others - whose children may go there - saying it's great. Its the same with areas. If you can only afford $200 a week in rent and send your child to the local school in a poor area then really no one in is a postition to say the school is the wrong choice. Depends on parents values and support as well - a bright kid who wants to do well with a family that values education will likely do well where ever they go. However if you have University aspirations for little Johnny and only 2% of the Year 12's do Stage 3 exams but another school has over 50% then you'd choose that school. That kind of information is available here - if you know how to interpret it -

http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/internet/Publications/Reports/Statistical_Reports/School_Comparison_Statistics

Cheap independent schools - try Catholic ed - less than $5000 a year, and some of the more obscure religious ones are even cheaper. They'll take anyone if they have space.

Yes, I agree it is subjective, but it would help start to build up some kind of picture as to the type of school and people expectations and attitudes towards them. You would obviously have to treat responses with an element of caution / filtration! We liked the look of Ellenbrook as it had reasonable results, sporting activities and we could send both children on the same Bus etc. The good thing about going in Jan-13 is that they would have covered a similar standard at their current schools and therefore this would make the transition easier for them.

But for me the teaching / staff is a major factor and you do not know these things until they are settled there.

When we have drawn up a short list of possible schools we will be trying to visit them on our first few days in Perth as I think most of the schools close around the 14/15 December, so we have a very small window of opportunity for him to see them.

When we have drawn up a short list of possible schools we will be trying to visit them on our first few days in Perth as I think most of the schools close around the 14/15 December, so we have a very small window of opportunity for him to see them.

Hi Seth - How old are your children? Which schools have you short listed and why?

Thanks

To be honest we only got our visa granted 2days ago, booked flights yesterday and over the next few weeks will plan our trip etc. school wise our boy who is 12 at the moment and is in a private school, subsidised from my employers due to my work. Friends of ours are going to be introducing us to her sister who is a teacher in Perth so hopefully she can help out with some recommendations. But she isnt visiting till end of July. I have just emailed a distant cousin that I haven't seen for ages but she, along with her family live in Perth so hopefully she can help. My nana spoke to her the other day for me lol to break the ice:biggrin:

So we haven't really got a list as yet, just hoping to get a head start from others on this forum.

Privates close earlier than state schools. My children attend an Anglican school and they finish on 12th December with State Schools finishing on 18th December.

Privates close earlier than state schools. My children attend an Anglican school and they finish on 12th December with State Schools finishing on 18th December.

Are you pleased with the school? Which one is it? Was there a waiting list?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Archived