Confusion over initial health cover on 457 visa

rachaelm0

I hope you can help with this problem, the more I read the more confused I get!:wacko:

My husband, two young children and I are travelling on a 457 visa until our 175 comes through. Now I understand the UK has reciprocal rights with Australia and after much confusion over why my employer's migration agent was mithering me to arrange initial private cover, I have come to the following conclusion;

because medicare takes a few days to arrange once landed?

the visa will not be issued without cover?

So I have been trying to arrange private cover for a couple of weeks. Can I not just use travel insurance? What have you done for this initial period?

Help, as always, is greatly appreciated!

On a 457 I was led to believe that your required/advised (not sure which) to get Private Cover as you are not entitled to the full Medicare cover once here. Hopefully others will be along soon ,who came on the same visa as you with more info.

Sorry i cant help more

Cal x

The easiest thing (and we did it for our 457 visa) was the 21 emigration policy with Go Walkabout. They were really helpful and we could amend the date for free when we had it. It was enough for the visa to be granted (which only took a few days).

The easiest thing (and we did it for our 457 visa) was the 21 emigration policy with Go Walkabout. They were really helpful and we could amend the date for free when we had it. It was enough for the visa to be granted (which only took a few days).

Hi! I've looked at this website myself and they offer the cheapest cover, though seems quite comprehensive in comparison to what others are charging for less. £109.99 for 2 adults, a 3 year old and a 1 year old for a month.

Not sure if this is right but I think you have to arrnage cover to get your visa and to last until you can get into medicare offices to register and get the reciprocal cover that the UK is allowed.

Yes this is the same conclusion I came to, but not without hunting high and low. When are you planning on migrating?

I uploaded a copy of our annual travel insurance and stated that we would enrol with Medicare on arrival in Australia. Our visa was granted without any further clarification.

Hmmm that's very interesting! When did you do this-was it a recent thing?

Archived