Returning to UK for health care

Bridgeman

Just wondering what the position is regarding returning to the UK if you have a health problem. Would it be possible to get it treated there (I know there are long waiting lists for operations)? I am always hearing how good the system is in Oz. However, I am shocked at the cost of dental treatment, even with private health cover and as we have had our health insurance less than a year, some things are not yet covered I have heard that you have to wait 6 months to access the National health system on return to the UK?

Has anyone had any treatment while on holiday over there?

Not sure what you mean by waiting 6 months to use Medicare (Aus equivalent of NHS) i have a pretty serious medical condition and have accessed Gps, Specilaists and hospital appointemts /procedures since day 1 of arriving and havent had to pay private for anything yet. (Except one specilist who was private only). I cannot fault the care and attention i have recieved in the public system and the only negative i can think of is it took around 7 months to actually 'get onto' the public system for my specilist checks etc etc..

Dentists are totally different and i agree expensive compared to UK NHS ones , although im not sure it would work cheaper to fly back to blighty for dentist work unless you were co-inciding it with a holiday there.lol..

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

I think he means the rule where if you have been out of the UK for longer than 6 months you don't qualify for NHS. Not sure the guidelines on this.

Guest The Pom Queen

Just found this:

Under the current Regulations, anyone who has spent more than 6 months of the past 12 living outside the UK may no longer be entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. However, depending on your circumstances, you might still be considered ordinarily resident in the UK even if you have been absent for more than 6 months. Ordinarily resident is a common law concept interpreted by the House of Lords in 1982 as someone who is living lawfully in the United Kingdom voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled. If you are no longer ordinarily resident in the UK then you will have to be exempt from charges in order to receive free NHS hospital treatment.

If you have a UK state retirement pension and have lived in the UK (or been employed as a UK crown servant) for ten continuous years at some point in the past, you will be exempt from charges for treatment the need for which arises during your visit to the UK. This means treatment needed where the diagnosis of a condition is made when first symptoms arise during a visit to the UK. It also applies where, in the opinion of a doctor or dentist employed by an NHS hospital, treatment is needed quickly to prevent a pre-existing condition increasing in severity, eg dialysis. It does not include routine monitoring of an existing condition such as diabetes.

This exemption extends to your spouse, civil partner and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) as long as they are lawfully present with you for the duration of your stay.

Archived