Visa 489 - Regional Provisional

bubbe2005

My brother gets his PR this year - that gives me 10 points to add to my exisitng 60 points

info about myself :

31 (going on 32 when he get his PR)

Bacherlors in Computer Science from London, UK

British Citizen

8 years IT experience in UK and USA

I will have to go thru the 489 visa with family sponsorship (from my brother once he gets his PR)

I meet the points - 70 points.

Let me know if this makes any sense to you.

First, I will be applying to TRA to get my skills assessed for occupation 313112 ICT Support

Second, PRAY for that to come back successful

Third, lodge EOI online

Fouth, hope to be invited to apply for relevant visa - 489

oh and one more thing, is it required of me to LIVE and WORK in ACT or WA where my occupation is listed on their SMP - even thought I'm not looking to get state sponsorship

My brother lives and resides in Melbourne, VIC, where I would want to be as well cause there's more ICT opportunites there.

Your occupation is on SOL 2 therefore your brother can not be a sponsor. Therefore you will require SS to be able to apply and you can sit the IELTS to gain the extra points you require.

Kindly explain more and provide sources to your statement.

• Nomination by a state/territory government or sponsorship by an eligible relative living in a designated area.
  • Invitation to apply.
  • Meet points test pass mark.
  • Nominate a skilled occupation from the relevant skilled occupation list.
  • Hold a suitable skills assessment.
  • Under 50 years of age.
  • At least competent English.
  • Other standard requirements including health and character.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-489/

Wheres does it state my brother who gets his PR this year cannot sponsor me because my occupation is on SOL2.

all it says is Nominate a skilled occupation from the relevant skilled occupation list, whether its from SOL 1 or SOL 2

[h=4]Where must your sponsor live in Australia?[/h]If you are being sponsored by an eligible relative, your sponsor must be a resident in a designated area of Australia at the time of the sponsorship.

My brother resides in VIC

But I am confused with your statement that he cannot sponsor me because my occupation is on SOL 2.

It does not say that underneath the sponsors tab.

If you apply for a General Skilled Migration visa on or after 1 July 2011 and you are not nominated by a State or Territory Government, you must nominate an occupation from Schedule 1 of the Skilled Occupation List.

If you apply for a General Skilled Migration visa on or after 1 July 2011 and you are nominated by a State or Territory Government you must nominate an occupation from either Schedule 1 or Schedule 2 of the Skilled Occupation List.http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf

Wheres does it state my brother who gets his PR this year cannot sponsor me because my occupation is on SOL2.

all it says is Nominate a skilled occupation from the relevant skilled occupation list, whether its from SOL 1 or SOL 2

It does not say the bit in red!!

I am not going to contradict anything that Lebourvellec has said as they seem very clued up on the visa process to me, but all I would say is that the current processing time for family sponsorship is listed as 12-18 months, but from reading other PIO'ers posts it more likely to be 2-3 years. If you do not wait, I would suggest applying for state sponsorship.

489 says nominate from the relevant schedule

so the rules for schedule 1 and 2 are contradicting the visa requirements for visa 489!!

"relevant"

"The following information is a guide only and is subject to the legislative process. More information will be available closer to 1 July 2012." http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

From the current 475 guidelines - those are the rules.

Archived