Applying for PR.....Currently on a 457

millers

Hi All

After a bit of advice... We have come over to Australia on a company sponsored 457 Visa in mid-Feb but would like to gain permanent residency status. Some people have told me I need to wait 2 years whilst others have said I can apply straight away if my company sponsors me. Which is correct? How do I go about it? Any criteria I need to meet? Thanks Dave

You can apply straight away if you can get a valid skills assessment in your current occupation and the employer is willing to sponsor for ENS, or with the same skills assessment you could simply apply for a GSM visa.

If you can not obtain a skills assessment then you might have to wait the 2 years and if the employer is still willing to sponsor for ENS

You can apply straight away if you can get a valid skills assessment in your current occupation and the employer is willing to sponsor for ENS, or with the same skills assessment you could simply apply for a GSM visa.

If you can not obtain a skills assessment then you might have to wait the 2 years and if the employer is still willing to sponsor for ENS

Thanks for the quick reply- what is ENS? thanks

Hi All

After a bit of advice... We have come over to Australia on a company sponsored 457 Visa in mid-Feb but would like to gain permanent residency status. Some people have told me I need to wait 2 years whilst others have said I can apply straight away if my company sponsors me. Which is correct? How do I go about it? Any criteria I need to meet? Thanks Dave

You don't apply for permanent residency "status", you apply for a visa. Some visas are permanent and some are temporary, like the one you are currently on. If you meet the criteria for one of the permanent visas then you can apply at any time. There are two likely routes for you, skilled migration or permanent employer sponsored visa.

You don't apply for permanent residency "status", you apply for a visa. Some visas are permanent and some are temporary, like the one you are currently on. If you meet the criteria for one of the permanent visas then you can apply at any time. There are two likely routes for you, skilled migration or permanent employer sponsored visa.

Hi mate, I ain't got the "skills" as I'm in retail management so would need to be employer sponsored. What's the criteria for me / them to meet? Presumably it's only valid for permanent residency whilst I'm sponsored......?

Guest guest36187

Couple of things to remember.....

Applying for PR after a 457 does not guarantee you permanent residency.

Once you have a PR visa you have it! The reason some companies dont immediatly sponsor is that people apply for PR through ENS and as soon as they get it they disappear! Your company would want to see some commitment from you

Thanks for the quick reply- what is ENS? thanks

ENS is Employer Nominated Sponsored (Permanent Residency)

Hi mate, I ain't got the "skills" as I'm in retail management so would need to be employer sponsored. What's the criteria for me / them to meet? Presumably it's only valid for permanent residency whilst I'm sponsored......?

The criteria for Employer Sponsored PR.

you are going to need either (a) or (b) ............this is the bit that catches most people.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for permanent residency under this visa, you must meet all of the following requirements at the time of lodging an application:

You must also meet one of the following requirements:

• (a) have worked full-time in Australia in the nominated occupation on a Subclass 418, 421, 422, 428, 444, 457 or 461 temporary residence visa for the last two years prior to the visa application being made (including at least the last 12 months with the nominating employer)

• have been nominated to fill a position with a base salary of more than AUD250 000 per annum (excluding superannuation or allowances)

• (b) have had your skills assessed as suitable by the relevant skills assessing authority and, unless exceptional circumstances apply, have at least three years full-time work experience in the occupation before the visa application is lodged. A list of assessing bodies can be found in the Employer Nomination Scheme Occupation List (ENSOL).

You must also:

• have an employer who is willing to sponsor you for permanent residency

• demonstrate that you have the appropriate skills, qualifications and/or experience to fill the position

• meet any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements which allow you to work unsupervised and without further training

• be under 45 years of age

• provide a letter of appointment or a contract signed by both the employer and yourself

• have vocational English language ability.

See: Vocational English Language Requirement

So you cannot do skilled migration then. I am not sure you could do permanent employer sponsored either, your occupation needs to be on the ENSOL for a permanent employer sponsored visa, this is a different list to the one for temporary employer sponsored visas. So it is possible that some people will qualify for a temporary visa but not the permanent one. From July 1, I udnerstand that they are aligning the lists however.

So first of all check the list to see if your occupation is eligible for permanent employer sponsored, if it is, then you need to take a skills assessment. Once you have skill assessment, willing employer and are on the list, you can apply for the permanent visa.

Guest orlaandjoe

Sorry to crash the thread but I have been here 4 months on a 457 as a midwife..I have a recent positive skills assessment but I have only got almost two years post qualification work experience as a midwife, so don't meet the three year requirement yet..my employers are willing to sponsor for PR..but if I wanted to do it as soon as possible, what are my options? Was looking at RSMS as we are in a regional area..thanks :)

Sorry to crash the thread but I have been here 4 months on a 457 as a midwife..I have a recent positive skills assessment but I have only got almost two years post qualification work experience as a midwife, so don't meet the three year requirement yet..my employers are willing to sponsor for PR..but if I wanted to do it as soon as possible, what are my options? Was looking at RSMS as we are in a regional area..thanks :)

Your options are RSMS or just lodge a skilled migration application.

Archived