Tips for getting a teaching job

Although I am a first timer, my wife and I have been using this website since January when we started the monstrous process of applying for Australia.

We have had our medicals and police checks and just awaiting the outcome for our visa. Very excited!! I have started looking for and applying for jobs but was wondering whether any teachers/lecturers in WA could offer any advice. I am secondary PE trained but have experience in Secondary, FE and HE and have been granted state sponsorship as a vocational education teacher as I have bene teaching vocational programmes for the last 7 years.

I was just wondering what the employment prospcts are like for teachers/lecturers and I want to be realistic in the jobs I am applying for. I have several years management experience but so far have assumed that australians would like to see some australian experience under your belt before you start leading anything. Is this true or would you recomend that I go for jobs similar to what I am doing now?

Also, has anyone got any suggestions on how write a killer letter of application to suit the Aussie employer?

Thanks, an excited and hopeful migrant

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm not sure what the job situation is like in WA but I have managed to get a position in SA pretty easily. I have worked in Secondary science as a teacher and as HoD. I accessed the Australian Schools Directory and selected all the types of schools I would be happy to work in (it's less rigmarole to go with independent rather than state!) and then sent my CV and letter of application (like you would send here in the UK) to all the head teachers/principals to register my interest in future posts. the biggest job was individually finding the contact details for them all since I had to go to each school website to search. Most schools replied just to acknowledge it and to tell me to keep an eye on their website. 2 schools got back to me directly asking me to apply and the first one I applied to, I got the job (via Skype interview!) and was also given some leadership responsibility too.

If I had taken notice of the negative remarks on here about how difficult getting ajob was, I'd have really started to worry, however its actually been a fairly easy process!

Good luck with the visa application - I hope everything goes quickly and smoothly for you!

Although I am a first timer, my wife and I have been using this website since January when we started the monstrous process of applying for Australia.

We have had our medicals and police checks and just awaiting the outcome for our visa. Very excited!! I have started looking for and applying for jobs but was wondering whether any teachers/lecturers in WA could offer any advice. I am secondary PE trained but have experience in Secondary, FE and HE and have been granted state sponsorship as a vocational education teacher as I have bene teaching vocational programmes for the last 7 years.

I was just wondering what the employment prospcts are like for teachers/lecturers and I want to be realistic in the jobs I am applying for. I have several years management experience but so far have assumed that australians would like to see some australian experience under your belt before you start leading anything. Is this true or would you recomend that I go for jobs similar to what I am doing now?

Also, has anyone got any suggestions on how write a killer letter of application to suit the Aussie employer?

Thanks, an excited and hopeful migrant

Archived