cars etc

lostdf3

hi,

is there any chance of some real life exp information regarding buying a car in wa? have done all the usual research and prices seem dear! any info on actually buying and the road tax insurance etc would be much appreciated, always find reading on the net seems to carry alot of dodgy info so always trust experience

many thanks

Guest RichB

Cars are very expensive in Australia, even second hand..and then you get ripped off with their daft stamp duty...and car rego is expensive to, with gst and stamp duty on that, and then insurance with gst and stamp duty on that too..Stamps are very expensive here unfortunately..

Cars are very expensive in Australia, even second hand..and then you get ripped off with their daft stamp duty...and car rego is expensive to, with gst and stamp duty on that, and then insurance with gst and stamp duty on that too..Stamps are very expensive here unfortunately..

Used cars are expensive.. I bought a brand new one.. Haggled the price down and got stamp duty, rego etc thrown in to the price..New cars don't seem to depreciate in value the same as they do in the UK.

To be honest I founds brand new cars to be reasonably priced. Check the internet, You could pick up a brand new ford focus for $20k and have rego, stamp duty and a few extras thrown in.

An average family car will cost you around $450ish a year to keep registered called the 'Rego'. This also covers 3rd party PERSONAL injury only, in other words damage to any vehicle is not covered. In WA insurance in not complusory, daft but true. You can either take out full comprehensive insurance or 3rd party only, this 3rd party covers the damage you cause to other vehicles.

When you buy a car you have to pay to have the vehicle ownership transfered into your name. This is the link to the Department of Transport of WA Vehicle licence duty calculator. http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/1382.asp

If buying a used car I would do a check to make sure the car isn't stolen or any finance owing in it, or has not been in the past 'written off'. Here is a link to the website you can do this. http://www.revscheck.com.au/

This is for WA, not sure on any info for other states.

I've been looking at prices too and it seems that choice is restricted to either Ford, Holden, Toyota, Honda, Nissan. You can forget about european marques like VW/Audi/BMW - they are ferociously priced (I will miss my beloved GTI). And if youre looking for a bit of poke, the Falcon Xr6 and Commodore SS seem to be the best value.

Archived