Recipes for fish

Guest monty

Please don't laugh, but I'm no Nigella Lawson or Delia Smith but I promised myself that when we moved to Oz that I would make the most of all the fresh local produce available fish being one of them. Anyhow we went to adelaide central market and there was a superb variety of seafood and fish some I'd never heard of anyhow I bit the bullet and bought some sea trout fillets and I'm going to be boring and steam them!!!! Are there any domestic Godesses or Gods out there who can give me some receipe ideas and recommend recipes using sea trout or any other types of fish.

Monty

Guest The Baggo's

When in doubt add a bit of garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, chopped chillis fresh herbs ??? Good luck and just wack it on the bbq!! nat x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Monty

Look on the Internet and tell Google Australia to confine itself to web-pages from Australia. You'll be spoilt for choice with the possibilities.

I love the way the Chinese steam fish - with masses of giner & spring onion, then at the end they dress it with sesame oil and soy sauce. A chum caught a sea bass for me so I decided to try the Chinese method, using a Ken Hom recipe. It was not a success - pretty tasteles really.

Subsequently I met Ken Hom at a book-signing, so I waited till last to get my copy signed so as to grab five minutes with him, and I told him that his recipe hadn't worked.

He said, "Did you use as much ginger & spring onion as I said in the recipe?"

"Um, no. I halved the ginger because I hate chewing on fresh ginger, and I think maybe I only used abut 2/3 of the amount of spring onions."

Ken Hom: "Do you eat a lot of lemon with seafood when you cook it to a Western recipe?"

Me: "Yup. I'll put the juice of half a lemon onto a portion of smoked salmon with no worries and I'd put the other half on a relatively small fillet of, say, bass."

He smiled and said, "In the East, ginger flavours fish in the same way as lemon flavours it in the West. If you like lots of lemon, then use half as much ginger again on top of what it says in the recipe. You'll like the result then, and you can't overdo it with the spring onions either so don't be scared to use lots of those too."

Well - till then I'd never known what ginger was supposed to do for fish, but I did as he said and the man was 100% right! Now, I leave the slivers of ginger quite large so that I can make sure I pick every bit of it off my own portion of the dish and leave it aside.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Guys When We Were Out On Hols My Friend Made Us Her Speciality Fish Dish ..... Not Sure Would Kind But It Was A Firm White Fish [ Summit Like Our Haddock/cod] She Put It In Tin Foil With Small Knob Of Butter And Fish Seasoning And Wrapped Up Like A Parcel .... Pop Into Hot Oven For 15mims / Or Barbecue .... Serve With Salad Made With Lettuce Tomatoes Peppers Cucumber [all Chopped Finely] Then Add Some Noodles [precooked] And Some Salad Seasoning .... Very Simple To Make And Tastes Delicious .

Mrs Keily.

Thanks Guys

I'm stocking up on ginger, lemon and limes and going to start experimenting. I f anyone can recommend any seafood that they have tried since moving I'd love to hear. Theres such a large selection available I don't know where to begin and sea trout seemed the safest bet initially.

Thanks again Montyx

I had a fab seafood linguine at a restaurant. It had clams, tiger prawns, calamari and scallops with a light chilli and olive oil dressing. It was so simple (and quite similar to one I make myself only I'm a bit tighter on the seafood front!!!!) and very tasty. I'd make something like this as a treat once in a while with the posh fresh stuff and every once in a while we have a bag of frozen seafood out of the freezer and use that with linguine.

Felicity:wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fairbloodydinkum

barramundi....coated in garlic butter..herbs..lemon..little onion..wrapped in tinfoil...on the barbie..

Guest Gollywobbler
barramundi....coated in garlic butter..herbs..lemon..little onion..wrapped in tinfoil...on the barbie..

This sounds absolutely delicious.

Cheers

Gill

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi Guys When We Were Out On Hols My Friend Made Us Her Speciality Fish Dish ..... Not Sure Would Kind But It Was A Firm White Fish [ Summit Like Our Haddock/cod] She Put It In Tin Foil With Small Knob Of Butter And Fish Seasoning And Wrapped Up Like A Parcel .... Pop Into Hot Oven For 15mims / Or Barbecue .... Serve With Salad Made With Lettuce Tomatoes Peppers Cucumber [all Chopped Finely] Then Add Some Noodles [precooked] And Some Salad Seasoning .... Very Simple To Make And Tastes Delicious .

Mrs Keily.

THIS WORKS WITH PRETTY MUCH ANY FISH. WE DO THIS ALL THE TIME!

ADAPTED IT SLIGHTLY THO -

WE SLICE SOME POTATOES, AND LAY THEN IN THE FOIL BAG, WITH THE FISH ON TOP. THEN CHUCK IN AS MANY/FEW VEGGIES AS YOU LIKE, BUTTER, WHITE WINE AND SEASON. STEAM ON BBQ FOR ABOUT 10 MINS - OPEN FOIL PACKET AND TIP ONTO PLATE. NO NEED TO HAVE ANYTHING ELSE WITH IT AS YOU HAVE YOUR POTATOES, VEGGIES AND FISH

Guest JoanneHattersley
Thanks Guys

I'm stocking up on ginger, lemon and limes and going to start experimenting. I f anyone can recommend any seafood that they have tried since moving I'd love to hear. Theres such a large selection available I don't know where to begin and sea trout seemed the safest bet initially.

Thanks again Montyx

ME AGAIN!

GOOD FISH ARE:

BARRAMUNDI

TROUT

FLATHEAD FILLETS

JOHN DORY

TEMPURA

WHITING

SNAPPER

FLAKE

SWORDFISH, GORGEOUS!

ANYTHINGS GOOD AND IF YOU TELL THEM IN WOOLIES THE SORT OF THING YOU WANNA DO THEY WILL ADVISE YOU WHICH FISH TO USE!

• 2 weeks later...

A yummy mackeral recipe:

2 mackeral, topped and tailed, one mooli radish, 1 spring onion, 2tbs soy sauce 1 1/2 cups water, bit of oil, red pepper.

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Chop the mooli into chunks and swish round in the oil until it begins to cook. Chuck the fish in, add the rest of the stuff and simmer until fish is cooked.

It's a very simple dish but really tasty. Serve with rice and some fresh greens. Enjoy x

Archived