IELTS Tips Please!

Minxey

Hi All,

Am nearly there, received my positive skills assessment, however my IELTS ratings didn't suffice.

I completely don't understand why I cannot crack the Reading section, I speak fluent English, have a high end job and still to no avail? Any tips, good websites (not the usual) where I can improve this for next time as I only have one last chance to get the points I need. So upset, was hoping to apply to WA for SS today... :sad:

Does anybody also know the turn around after submitting SS?

Many thanks for all your help - this website is fantastic as it helped me with my application and knowledge need to know for Vetassess and didn't have to submit any further paperwork! :biggrin:

Guys I was in the same boat , me and the wife sat down every night and did the same test together ,by the end of the week it turned into a competion who could score the most .

It also took the boredom out of it and it worked I passed . Keep at it peeps don't let it beat you

Guest scrumpy

How about doing the last (and the hardest)reading section first? Theres no reason they cant be done back to front, and you would be more "fresh" at the start? Any of that make sense??? probably not but thats why I took my 2nd IELTS yesterday. Better of takeing advice from someone who has passed!!!! ;(

Hi All,

Am nearly there, received my positive skills assessment, however my IELTS ratings didn't suffice.

I completely don't understand why I cannot crack the Reading section, I speak fluent English, have a high end job and still to no avail? Any tips, good websites (not the usual) where I can improve this for next time as I only have one last chance to get the points I need. So upset, was hoping to apply to WA for SS today... :sad:

Does anybody also know the turn around after submitting SS?

Many thanks for all your help - this website is fantastic as it helped me with my application and knowledge need to know for Vetassess and didn't have to submit any further paperwork! :biggrin:

So you may have seen reading IELTS tips that mention skim reading and highlighting key phrases, this is great for the non ENglish speaker. I would recommend the exact opposite for the native English speaker. Take some time to read the passags through three times slowly, each time you will pick up something extra that you missed in the first reading. Only then look at the questions. And before the test, just keep practising. Good luck.

Guest The Conroys

Hi Minxey

We have just got ourselves a tutor for the writing section and he is very good I'm hoping his tips will help us get that 7.0.

My hubby is also a carpenter and going for his 3rd attempt in May. Its a shame that such a test is going to put off a lot of hardworking highly skilled individuals with a lot to offer Austrailia just because maybe their spelling is a little dodgy. Its very frustrating and I think this could be our last attempt due to the stress it causes!!!

Like the tip that makes it a competition between husband and wife, think we will try that this week thenm he will not feel like he is alone!!!

Terri

Thank-you all for your advice on the reading part - will just have to practice and practice more! I am so determind but it costs so much at the end of the day it's so frustrating!! :-(

Am worried about the cut off time for applying for my visa and the test dates to do this beforehand - does anyone know what the turnaround is for SS for Perth WA?