Teachers in the ACT

Guest BeckInCanberra

Guest BeckInCanberra

Hi, I have a friend who is teaching in the UK (kindi) and is thinking of coming over to AUS.  She would like to come to Canberra - due to knowing me!! - and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for her about how easy or hard this would be or any agents or websites she could use in the UK. I am of very little use to her, as I married an Aussie so my visa application and the move over here was fairly straight forward!!

Thanks in advance!

Getting a permanent teaching position in Canberra can be very difficult and AFAIK teacher isnt on the list of skills in demand unless she is early childhood and I think that is still on the list. She would be wise to go through an agent and see how she gets on with the visa. She might also be in a position to do a teacher exchange with someone in Canberra if she hunts around for one of the teacher exchange sites - I know a lot of teachers who have exchanged in the past - and that will get her a bit of a feeling for the place and possibly a foot in the door with "knowing someone" and a bit of Australian experience which never goes astray.

• 4 weeks later...
AFAIK teacher isnt on the list of skills in demand unless she is early childhood and I think that is still on the list. .

Actually, Teacher is part of the skills in demand list with places for sponsorship opened in both primary and secondary degree (depending on specialization):

241111 Pre-primary School Teacher Eligible for registration with the ACT Teacher Quality Institute. Qualified in:

• Early Childhood (age 3-8); Special

Education.

Open

241213 Primary School Teacher Eligible for registration with the ACT

Teacher Quality Institute. Qualified in:

• Special Education.

Open

241411 Secondary School Teacher Eligible for registration with the ACT

Teacher Quality Institute. Qualified in:

• Maths; Science; English; French;

Italian; Computer Programming;

Design and Technology; Special

Education.

Open

However, note that contrary to other states'practice, ACT's government will charge your friend 300 $ to examine her case. Also, as far as I know, conditions are more stringent and competition in the job market might be more fierce (?) (ACT has the most educated population in Australia). On the positive side though, ACT also has the lowest unemployment rate in Australia.

Like Quoll, I would also recommend that your friend try to come on a teacher exchange or something like that. I just know Canberra from a touristic perspective and I also know somebody there, and it doesnt resemble any other place in Australia. Generally, you either love it or hate it !

Cheers

Generally v. Easy to get a pr visa as a teacher, however as quoll says v. Hard to get perm. Job, however if not career minded supply work actually pays well and there is supply work out here ( don't quote me for act though, as have no idea about that corner of the world and its a bit of an oddity ( not in a bad way ) due to being seat of gov. Etc ) however, in the long run it may be wise to have the idea in the back of ones mind that another job or career once in oz isn't the end of the world.

I think for teachers they have to think do they really want to be in.oz, or stay in same job in UK ( as finding another position.in the UK isn't easy either). Or she can always go remote in nt, they are desperate up here lol:)

Archived