The Decision Has Finally Been Made

flatpack

Hi All

After starting a family we have FINALLY made the decision to apply to move to Oz. We travelled extensively 3 years ago and had a holiday in Sydney and Perth last Xmas/New year.

I am a 40yr old Carpenter&Joiner and understand I will have to get a State Sponsor and an 8 in IELTS to get 65points. There is no chance that we'll be able to get an application in before 1st July so Skillselect it will be. Really wish we had done this earlier but hey ho. Any advice would be very welcome.

I'm not sure about family visas as my I have 2 sisters, 1 is aa Oz citizen now and the other has just landed a job in Oz and will be moving out there in the next couple of months, both my parents are alive as are my girlfriends, anyone out there know my chances of this route?

Thanks

Guest Guest31881

I would agree with Cal, As the "Skill Select" is going to be new to everyone, it may be worth contacting an agent for guidance, even paying for a short interview, You do not have to use an agent but getting professional assistance with the new system could save a Lot of grief in the long run.

I'm not sure about family visas as my I have 2 sisters, 1 is aa Oz citizen now and the other has just landed a job in Oz and will be moving out there in the next couple of months, both my parents are alive as are my girlfriends, anyone out there know my chances of this route?

Thanks

There are no family visas suitable for you. Family visas are for parents, children, partner and there is something called a last remaining relative visa but takes 15 years and doesn't apply in your case anyway.

If your sister lies in a regional area and you would be happy to live in a regional area for two years at least, then the sister in Australia might be able to sponsor you for the 475 visa. I would leave this until you are down to last resorts though, there are better visas than that.

There are no family visas suitable for you. Family visas are for parents, children, partner and there is something called a last remaining relative visa but takes 15 years and doesn't apply in your case anyway.

If your sister lies in a regional area and you would be happy to live in a regional area for two years at least, then the sister in Australia might be able to sponsor you for the 475 visa. I would leave this until you are down to last resorts though, there are better visas than that.

My sister lives in Perth so it looks like that idea is out of the question. I hope I am not worrying over nothing but I have a feeling the new system will not favour us.

Hi Flatpack

Not sure if this applies to any Visa you could apply to

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship yesterday officially made Perth a "Regional Area" for RSMS and Skilled Regional Sponsored visas. This measure was previously announced by DIAC, but was only put into place officially on 11 September 2011

Talie

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Flatpack

Not sure if this applies to any Visa you could apply to

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship yesterday officially made Perth a "Regional Area" for RSMS and Skilled Regional Sponsored visas. This measure was previously announced by DIAC, but was only put into place officially on 11 September 2011

Talie

Hi Talie

Thanks for the info. I've been looking around the DIAC website but have a couple of questions that I couldn't find the answers for. I hope somebody may have some further advice:

1) What would be the advantage of a Skilled Regional Sponsored visas over a 175 or a 176 visa

2) What are the average times of getting the Skilled Regional Sponsored visas

Many Thanks

Scott

Edit: It doesn't look like I have enough points for a 175 visa:sad:

Archived