Contributory Parent Visa / Assurance of Support / Bond ..Questions

Guest Indipop

Guest Indipop

Hi There Guys and Gals,

New member and First post, Thanks for the great forum , found a fair bit of useful info here searching...

I had some questions here and I thought some of you might be able to help / answer based on past experiences

From What I have been able to find so far from the Immi website and in this very well written document about parent visas

http://www.iarc.asn.au/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=40056

1) If we apply under the Parent (subclass 103) visa and are waiting for the visa, can I then change my application to the Contributory Parent (Migrant) (subclass 143) visa category by paying 2nd instalment - 40015 Australian Dollars (AUD40015) ? or do I have to start a new application from the start and pay 1st instalment - 1995 Australian Dollars (AUD1995) + 2nd instalment - 40015 Australian Dollars (AUD40015) ?

2) In the Contributory Parent Visa (Migrant) (subclass 143) visa category is the Assurance of Support Bond 2nd instalment - 40015 Australian Dollars (AUD40015) refundable ? If the Govt has not been required to pay anything over ten years for this person, is the bond refunded in full ?

3) Under what circumstances / conditions is the bond held back ?

4) While either of these visa applications are in progress can she continue to visit Australia as frequently as she does currently ( About 6 months in every year) ? Would applying for the parent visa have any bearing on her future applications for Family sponsored visitor visa?

5) Once she gets a Parent Visa and comes to Australia what benefits is she eligible for and when can she become a complete citizen? On Application 4 years later or after the ten years are completed?

Many thanks in advance and I look froward to receiving your responses to the same,

Hi There Guys and Gals,

New member and First post, Thanks for the great forum , found a fair bit of useful info here searching...

I had some questions here and I thought some of you might be able to help / answer based on past experiences

From What I have been able to find so far from the Immi website and in this very well written document about parent visas

http://www.iarc.asn.au/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=40056

1) If we apply under the Parent (subclass 103) visa and are waiting for the visa, can I then change my application to the Contributory Parent (Migrant) (subclass 143) visa category by paying 2nd instalment - 40015 Australian Dollars (AUD40015) ? or do I have to start a new application from the start and pay 1st instalment - 1995 Australian Dollars (AUD1995) + 2nd instalment - 40015 Australian Dollars (AUD40015) ?

2) In the Contributory Parent Visa (Migrant) (subclass 143) visa category is the Assurance of Support Bond 2nd instalment - 40015 Australian Dollars (AUD40015) refundable ? If the Govt has not been required to pay anything over ten years for this person, is the bond refunded in full ?

3) Under what circumstances / conditions is the bond held back ?

4) While either of these visa applications are in progress can she continue to visit Australia as frequently as she does currently ( About 6 months in every year) ? Would applying for the parent visa have any bearing on her future applications for Family sponsored visitor visa?

5) Once she gets a Parent Visa and comes to Australia what benefits is she eligible for and when can she become a complete citizen? On Application 4 years later or after the ten years are completed?

Many thanks in advance and I look froward to receiving your responses to the same,

Hi

I will try and answer your questions:

If you want to apply for a 143 Contributory Parent Visa (or from the remainder of your post I assume it is your mother who will be applying)then you will need to cancel you 103 application and put in a new application, which will also involve paying the initial VAC again. However, the application date will be the date that she initially applied for the 103, ie the time she has spent waiting on the 103 will be taken into consideration when waiting for a CO.

I think you may be getting confused between the second large VAC and the Assurance of Support. The second large VAC is payable just before the visa is granted and is not refundable. The Assurance of Support ($10,000 for a single and $14,000 for a couple) is refundable in full after 10 years, and you will also get interest on it in the meantime).

Have a look at the following link which tells you what payments are recoverable from the AOS. In reality there are not many which would apply to parents.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/assurance_support.htm

She will still be able to come to Australia on a visitor visa once she has applied for the CPV. I assume this also applies to the 103. With the CPV timing is crucial as this is an offshore visa and she does not want to find herself in Australia when the visa is granted. it is vital to keep DIAC informed of any visits to Australia so they can contact her and she can then arrange to go offshore for the visa to be granted.

She will need to have spent four years in Australia under the normal rules to apply for citizenship. She will need to wait at least 2 years to be eligible for any benefits. See the following link:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/individuals/settle_pay_permres.htm

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/newly_arrived.htm

I hope this helps. If you have any more queries it might be an idea to post them in the parent visa thread which is a sticky at the top of the immigration thread. There are lots of helpful, knowledgeable people who post on there.

Guest Indipop

Thanks for taking the effort and posting such a detailed reply Bridgeman,....

Appreciate your efforts, I will go through the links, And I also read elsewhere that the (subclass 143) visa category 2nd instalment - 40015 A is a one time permanent payment.

I need to investigate how long s the wait time for a normal parent visa..

Also you guessed right , I am thinking of applying a visa for my mother.

Another question > is the 40,015 payment per parent or is it for both the parents together?

• 7 years later...

Hello, a long time since Ive been on PIO, and I hope this is the right place for my question.

We came out here nearly five years ago on the 143 visa.  We have now been accepted as Citizens.  Will we now be able to have our Assurance of Support ($14,000) refunded, or do we still have to wait the ten years?  Of course, that all depends on being able to negotiate the Centre.ink system!!

Thank you, in the hope that someone else has gone through this experience.

Edited by carob

Still have to wait the 10 years as far as I know. 
make sure you keep the original letter with the AOS details on and the Commbank details as well. Makes it easier easier to claim it back!

5 minutes ago, carob said:

Hello, a long time since Ive been on PIO, and I hope this is the right place for my question.

We came out here nearly five years ago on the 143 visa.  We have now been accepted as Citizens.  Will we now be able to have our Assurance of Support ($14,000) refunded, or do we still have to wait the ten years?  Of course, that all depends on being able to negotiate the Centre.ink system!!

Thank you, in the hope that someone else has gone through this experience.

4 hours ago, carob said:

Thank you for your reply.  I was hoping that we could go on a spending spree haha!  Wishing everyone a Happy Christmas, not that it feels like it.  Here in Perth we are in the middle of a heatwave - 40 degs - early for WA.

Yes but look forward to the spending spree in a few years! The only way you get it back early is if you die, which I don’t recommend!
Merry Christmas to you too! 🥳