Syd's Been Back In The Mutha Country For Three Months Now.

Sydney

Well close enough. Mrs Syd and I left Sydney around the end of January, and after stopping off in Honolulu, and Mainland U.S. for a few weeks, arrived in a cold and windy Edinburgh with a couple of years spending money and a big thirst. We decided against packing a whole container and opted for a common sense approach, and shipped around twenty large boxes instead, the contents of which held mainly sentimental value, and the savings were quite significant. Have to recommend Seven Seas for the service. They did all they said they'd do. A twenty stone Maori picked our stuff up in Bondi, and a seven stone Glaswegian unloaded it at this end. Haven't unpacked it all yet but nothing sounds broken, touch wood. I hadn't been in the U.S. for many years, and the sign in a Vegas restaurant window announcing "all patrons over 350 pounds eat for free", suggested not much had changed. Not in a hurry to return, although Mrs Syd enjoyed the shopping, and we both agreed Scotland offers much more in the way of healthy food than our American cousins, despite our national dish of the deep fried pie. Our internal flights in America were quite an education in how many twenty stone Yanks can be squeezed onto a 727. After 30 odd years in Oz, we feel very much Australian but the contrast of living in Scotland is really nice. Local pub most nights before tea, and the occasional football game forms the most basic of everyday comforts, and the advantage of the high Oz dollar opposed to the North Sea peso means life is quite bearable. We were approached by ITV3 around Xmas time with a view to appearing on a show about returning Poms. I met the producer who was a lovely chap, but rather than just doing the odd interview, they wanted to follow us around a bit and we both felt this would have been intrusive so after a couple of cold beers, declined the offer. When I was over here last year, I went to see a doctor for some pain killers for my back before returning on the long flight to Oz. The doc duly obliged and when I told her I'd be returning for a few years suggested I bring up to date x rays for her to look at which I did and therefore registered at the local NHS health centre. A week after my arrival I made an appointment, and took my x rays along, but had to see another doctor who took exception to me handing over the offending pics without notice and declared she was a GP and not a radiographer, and refused to look at them. Deciding to take advantage of the NHS I asked if she could refer me to a physiotherapist so that I could get an opinion for ongoing maintenance on my aching lumber. I explained I'd had 30 years of mainly chiropractic treatment, and expected I'd need treatment of some kind in the not too distant future. After ranting on about the witch doctors masquerading as medical professionals under the guise of chiros, she told me I'd receive a letter. About two weeks later I received the promised mail telling me I'd be receiving a letter about a forthcoming appointment. Six weeks later I received another letter telling me I had an appointment within the coming week, and the day before the appointment another letter arrived reminding me I had an appointment and to phone the medical centre if I couldn't attend. Now there was no way I was missing this appointment after involving such a large cast of government workers and so turned up to see the lovely Rhona with my x rays under my arm. Rhona told me bringing x rays were a waste of time, and she too decided there was no point in checking them out. After spending an hour and a half of my life with this little cherub, the prognosis was that I was getting old, (well 55 and counting), and that I shouldn't expect much of an outcome, and to look around and see others less fortunate. She also made another appointment for me in three weeks which is a wee bit of a mystery, but the medical centre's close to the local pub and I might as well look in and see what she has planned for this old codger. In the meantime I'll get some treatment from one of the many chiros/osteopaths now operating in the city for which I'm happy to pay. I've decided you can't fight the system here in the UK. No point at all. Just complain along with the others, but "go with the flow". And this rule applies to the huge lady working in the post office who really should have a larger pane of glass to sit behind, my Pakistani newsagent with a stronger accent than mine, and the local pharmacist handing out the free prescription meds to the masses who pack his chemist shop at all hours of the day. How this mob will go at Olympics should be interesting. The athletes might be fine but the spectators will be rattling. Britain really has changed quite a bit to my eyes. When I jumped on a ship as a 16 y/o in 1973 and headed to NZ, pubs closed at 3 in the arvo and opened again at 5 until 10pm. Now with all the cheap booze availabe in the supermarkets, (and the no smoking laws), people sit at home and get sozzled with a fag in their hands and don't crash into the pub until midnight for the last couple of hours. I love the odd social tipple but the availability of huge plastic bottles of cider just along from the baked beans is a big temptation for the many, and can't be good for anyone. My neighbours have been truly amazing. When they see me struggling in the garden,(I'm a dreadful gardener), or trying to do some DIY around the place, they're over like a shot with advice and tools, and I never found the same connection so quickly in Australia.............Not a bad place to be at this moment in time. Have to go................ Beer O'Clock and ticking.....Syd.

Guest megapixel

Syd

Thank you for posting about your experiences with the NHS. I thought it was just me. It's a wonderful system in theory, but now strangled by red tape, ground down staff and blinkered attitudes. I asked for results of my routine blood tests after being told "they're normal" by a receptionist; they were normal if borderline high cholesterol is normal! which apparently it is in the UK. She demanded a 10 quid fee to press the "print" button and give me a copy, after loudly demanding to know why I wanted to see them when she has looked at them and sees they're normal! You're right, you just have to fit in around the system and take a proactive role with your health, or you would go mad.

Look forward to reading more of your observations!

MP

Guest truebeliver

i really enjoyed reading that it was like a book :laugh: i shall wait poised for the next chapter!

Hi Syd, good post.

Agree re the NHS (ie no option but to go with the flow) but they were probably correct about xrays being useless. Favoured by chiros but CT/MRI is the only worthwhile investigation for chonic back pain, but even then only if there is suspicion of 'sciatic' neural compression.

Hi Syd, good post.

Agree re the NHS (ie no option but to go with the flow) but they were probably correct about xrays being useless. Favoured by chiros but CT/MRI is the only worthwhile investigation for chonic back pain, but even then only if there is suspicion of 'sciatic' neural compression.

Am expecting "another letter" any day now with referral to get x rays !!!!

Re aches and pains - go find an osteopath. You may have to pay him/her but should put you right in 2 sessions - that's what I found in UK having battled the doctor's surgery and appointments to no avail. I reckon it was money well spent for the sake of my sanity and time!

Archived