help plz regarding same sex partner app

kellyjamie

hi all,

friends of ours are looking into migrating, hes a community worker as is just starting to look into it all. im trying to help him and his partner as much as i can, can he include his partner without being married? is it just the same as any other application where by you have to prove your partnership if you arent married?? they have been together 8 yrs, i know this may sound stupid but i was making sure australai recognises same sex partnerships without marriage

Thanks

hi all,

friends of ours are looking into migrating, hes a community worker as is just starting to look into it all. im trying to help him and his partner as much as i can, can he include his partner without being married? is it just the same as any other application where by you have to prove your partnership if you arent married?? they have been together 8 yrs, i know this may sound stupid but i was making sure australai recognises same sex partnerships without marriage

Thanks

Yes. In fact, they recognize all relationships between two adults that live together, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, for the purposes of migration. This is known as a "de facto relationship". For couples in de facto relationships wishing to migrate to Australia, there is generally a requirement that the couple live together in the same household for a minimum period of 12 months before applying. In some cases, this requirement can be waived if there's a specific reason for which living together is not possible -- for example, being from a country where it would be against the law for a same-sex couple to be cohabitating.

Check out this link for more information: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

Archived