457 Visa - will I need a reference from my current employer???

Hi

I am at second stage interviews with a number of firms in Brisbane (I work within Recruitment) and I am confident that I will be getting 1 or 2 offers in the next week or so.

My issue is this - I have been employed by my current firm for 6 years. It is a very small business and at present I am going through a grievance process with my employer - to cut a long story short I raised a grievance with my boss as he has basically appointed someone into my job whilst I've been on maternity leave (I am told I have a very strong case for Pregnancy Discrimation and a number of other claims, however I don't want to go down the tribuneral route as I would rather walk away with a severance deal if something can be agreed).

Obviously as there is some unpleasantness at work, I am starting to worry about what will happen if the immigration peeps need some evidence as to what my job is/skill set etc. Does anyone know what i'm likely to need in order for my 457 to be successful? The guy who has lined the interviews up for me knows about what is going on with my boss so is likely to be able to smooth things out from the employers perspective - its just the visa issue i'm concerned at. I do know all the companies that I am likely to get offers from use migration experts.

Any advice really appreciated!

x

Hi there, sounds like you are in an awkward situation at work! I'm a nurse and just beginning the process of my 457 visa application and have been looking to see what is required for myself. You def need references from your current employer I'm afraid! If you go to the immigration website you can find a download that will tell you everything you will need for the application. Hope this helps and good luck!x

Guest Gwdunc

is there someone at work other than your boss that can give you a reference i.e line manager or team leader? as long as it is someone in position and can give a reference about you in the workplace and a bit about your perconal skills then you would be ok with that.good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone just to update you things were resolved with work and i've managed to get my references etc and have just received a verbal offer. Now its the fun game of waiting for the VISA stuff! Thanks so much for all your help xx

Archived