Victoria State Sponsorship update in regards to EOI system

Sephie

Hi guys! Thought this might be useful for us applying or intending to apply for Vic SS. It's a relief that the SS is continuing up to at least June 1st! My RMA was worried that some states were closing their SS earlier in response to the July 1st changes so I thought this would be a relief for Vic SS applicants!

Copy and pasted from the Victorian website.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/about-us/news/2012/skilled-visa-state-sponsorship-processing

On 1 July 2012 the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) will be introducing SkillSelect and new skilled visa subclasses. SkillSelect is an online system that enables skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia to record their details to be considered for a skilled visa through an Expression of Interest (EOI). Visit the SkillSelect website to find out the latest information.

If you register your EOI on SkillSelect and you are nominated by the Victorian Government for sponsorship, you will automatically receive an invitation to apply, subject to occupation ceilings.

Whether you are intending to apply for a sponsored visa before or after 1 July 2012, you should submit your application for sponsorship to us as soon as possible. Sponsorships will remain valid during this transition period and will not be affected by the DIAC changes.

Processing of Victorian Government skilled sponsorship applications will continue uninterrupted, however the name of the application forms will be updated on 1 June 2012 on this site in anticipation of the changes to DIAC’s visa application process.

This is really interesting. I asked the same question in a different thread and the response was that I would have problems if i am not invited in the time frame it is honoured for... but surely if it is granted slightly before or after the 1st July you will automatically be invited subject to occupation ceilings?

This is really interesting. I asked the same question in a different thread and the response was that I would have problems if i am not invited in the time frame it is honoured for... but surely if it is granted slightly before or after the 1st July you will automatically be invited subject to occupation ceilings?

Thats what it says. I thought the whole process of applying for sponsorship would become obsolete with skill select, am I wrong here?

Thats what it says. I thought the whole process of applying for sponsorship would become obsolete with skill select, am I wrong here?

From what it says, it sounds like they'll still honour any SS granted before 1 July even if a visa application is lodged after that date. So if you were granted SS on 28 June but were not able to lodge a 176 before 1 July, then you would have to submit an EOI and presumably they'd somehow connect that to your SS and be invited to apply.

From what it says, it sounds like they'll still honour any SS granted before 1 July even if a visa application is lodged after that date. So if you were granted SS on 28 June but were not able to lodge a 176 before 1 July, then you would have to submit an EOI and presumably they'd somehow connect that to your SS and be invited to apply.

It sounds to me like they'll even honor SS granted after July 1st as long as it was applied for before. The wording is a little confusing on the other parts, it is my understanding that the states pick applicants from the skill select database so there is no need for a separate SS application after July 1st.

Edit: Actually its quite clear, they mention the transition period. So any applications before July 1st should be fine, after that its all skill select.

It is not clear how it is going to work exactly - Maybe when you lodge your EOI you maybe state you already have SS so thats how your invite will be sent?

Will people be nominated to apply for State Sponsorship and if it is successful they will get invitation to apply?

Due to the fact that some states charge for State Sponsorship and you need to prove funds and you have researched the state you are going to live in, it is not clear how the EOI and nominated for State Sponsorship will work.

Last year we were granted SS from WA in 16 June and WA stated "To allow SMWA time to process and confirm your Form 1100 with DIAC before the end of the 2010-2011 program year on 30June, 2011 please sign and return this document to SMWA (including your DIAC application reference number) before 23 of June, 2011. "

"State and territory governments will still assess potential applicants before they nominate them. The actual nomination can only occur after an EOI has been lodged." http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/category/skillselect/

Archived