Moving to Oz

cronemeister

Hi

I've been offered a job by a firm in Victoria Melbourne and am currently mulling it over with the family.

The firm will be sponsoring me on a 457 Visa which will cover my partner and I and our 2 children. My other half is wanting to look into options for getting her best friend to come out with us also.

They have seen or spoke to each other every day since they were 4 years old (now 33) so it would be a big upheaval for her and I would be more than happy for her best mate to be out there with us. Its another familiar face from home for the kids, someone there as part of our support network, and also there if my other half and I need a few hours out to go for a meal together or that.

Does anyone know of any way that she could be out there with us. She doesn't have a transferable skill from the UK (Receptionist at a Solicitors firm) so I was wondering if this is in any way a possibility, or a complete no go.

It really would be a massive help having her there as part of the family, and if she could work also it would be a 3rd income into the house allowing us to afford a bigger place. She would be selling her property here in the UK so would have well over £100k to bring with her which would also help out a lot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your wife's best friend is not a dependent family member, she's too old for a WHV, she doesn't qualify for skilled migration and no employer is going to sponsor a receptionist.

So, as you expected, it's definitely a no go - she won't be able to come with you for anything except a holiday.

Of course if she retrains in some occupation that Australia is need of, then she could be eligible in the future.

the other thing is.... you are going out on what is a temporary visa yourselves..... at this time you have no way of knowing if that will translate into anything permanent...& if this particular job does not work out for you ,you will have 28 days to find another one or come home..

this is a huge responsibility with a family in tow, so I think you'll have quite enough to contend with without trying to sort out a friend's prospects too!! she is an individual person who needs to meet the criteria for a visa all on her own ..it just doesn't work like that...(or most of us wouldn't be waiting to meet all the necessary criteria.,we'd all be out there already!)

Archived