pregnant pom in perth

Guest michpaul

Guest michpaul

Hi,

I just arrived in perth 3 days ago with my boyfriend on a 457 visa. Im 20 weeks pregnant and really unsure where to go to see someone about the pregnancy and birth. Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Michelle

HI,

I have been researching hospitals/midwifery in perth as i am a midwife hoping to emmigrate. From what I can gather, things can be pretty medicalised in Australia but Perth does have a few nice options. King Edward Memorial hospital has a midwife led family birth centre in Subiaco which looks lovely and this service looks fantastic (community midwifery programme) http://www.cmwa.net.au/, hope this helps.

Guest michpaul
find a gp [ doctor[ you feel comfortable with he will refer you on to a gyno and take it from there , take any scans/ ultra sounds to your gp with you so he can take over your care

Thanks, will find a GP tomorrow.

Guest michpaul
HI,

I have been researching hospitals/midwifery in perth as i am a midwife hoping to emmigrate. From what I can gather, things can be pretty medicalised in Australia but Perth does have a few nice options. King Edward Memorial hospital has a midwife led family birth centre in Subiaco which looks lovely and this service looks fantastic (community midwifery programme) http://www.cmwa.net.au/, hope this helps.

Thanks, will have a look at that as Subiaco is near to me.

Guest Jadeanna

Hi Michpaul, I am in Perth 7 months on a 457 visa. I am almost 14 weeks pregnant. It was a surprise! But a happy one. I am a little worried being on a 457 and I haven't told my employer yet..... Yikes!! But, I never stress, everything will work out. I went to King Edward Memorial Hospital at 8 weeks because I had a bleed. (I had an ectopic pregnancy last year so needed to check). Anyway, they were absolutely lovely to me. Last year I went to a hospital in Dublin with the same emergency and it was a horrible experience. They made me feel like I was an idiot for coming in at only 8 weeks pregnant and, sure it had turned out to be a serious problem I was having. But KEMH were so nice, they did a full examination on me and they took bloods and put me in a bed while I waited for the results. I have decided I want to have my baby there. I will go back for my 20 week scan. I don't know if I will go to the family birth centre (it does look lovely) because they can not give epidural there. And, with this being my first baby I don't know if I would cope with out it. (better to have the option I think...), but the hospital is right next to the centre so you can transfer to it if epidural is required. You can book a tour with them, but I think you need to get in early as it is very popular.

I went to a GP in the city which opens late, but they don't bulk bill and they are a private practice. I got a referral for my NT scan and I am waiting the results (not that it will make a difference to having the baby, but just for peace of mind).

Is this your first baby? How are you enjoying Perth? I love it and I think it is an absolutely amazing place to bring up a child. We were trying for a baby for so long back home (4 years) and I think all of the stress and missery was having an negative effect. Then we came to Australia and 4 months later I was pregnant with out trying!! I have been doing a bodybalance class in the city it's a mixture of yoga, pilates and thai chi. I'm loving it and it's perfect gentle exercise.

I am looking for groups in Perth for Mothers to be and for meet up's, walk's etc... when the baby comes along.

Good luck with your life in Perth, I'm sure you will love it. Where are you from by the way? It must have been hard to say goodbye to family and friends knowing you have a baby on the way?

So are you the primary applicant on your visa or is your boyfriend? Unfortunetly I am the primary applicant in our case so I don't know what's going to happen. But if worse comes to worse my husband can ask his employer to sponsor him. He is in recruitment and most of his collegues are on 457 visas.

Guest michpaul
Hi Michpaul, I am in Perth 7 months on a 457 visa. I am almost 14 weeks pregnant. It was a surprise! But a happy one. I am a little worried being on a 457 and I haven't told my employer yet..... Yikes!! But, I never stress, everything will work out. I went to King Edward Memorial Hospital at 8 weeks because I had a bleed. (I had an ectopic pregnancy last year so needed to check). Anyway, they were absolutely lovely to me. Last year I went to a hospital in Dublin with the same emergency and it was a horrible experience. They made me feel like I was an idiot for coming in at only 8 weeks pregnant and, sure it had turned out to be a serious problem I was having. But KEMH were so nice, they did a full examination on me and they took bloods and put me in a bed while I waited for the results. I have decided I want to have my baby there. I will go back for my 20 week scan. I don't know if I will go to the family birth centre (it does look lovely) because they can not give epidural there. And, with this being my first baby I don't know if I would cope with out it. (better to have the option I think...), but the hospital is right next to the centre so you can transfer to it if epidural is required. You can book a tour with them, but I think you need to get in early as it is very popular.

I went to a GP in the city which opens late, but they don't bulk bill and they are a private practice. I got a referral for my NT scan and I am waiting the results (not that it will make a difference to having the baby, but just for peace of mind).

Is this your first baby? How are you enjoying Perth? I love it and I think it is an absolutely amazing place to bring up a child. We were trying for a baby for so long back home (4 years) and I think all of the stress and missery was having an negative effect. Then we came to Australia and 4 months later I was pregnant with out trying!! I have been doing a bodybalance class in the city it's a mixture of yoga, pilates and thai chi. I'm loving it and it's perfect gentle exercise.

I am looking for groups in Perth for Mothers to be and for meet up's, walk's etc... when the baby comes along.

Good luck with your life in Perth, I'm sure you will love it. Where are you from by the way? It must have been hard to say goodbye to family and friends knowing you have a baby on the way?

So are you the primary applicant on your visa or is your boyfriend? Unfortunetly I am the primary applicant in our case so I don't know what's going to happen. But if worse comes to worse my husband can ask his employer to sponsor him. He is in recruitment and most of his collegues are on 457 visas.

Hi,

I went to a GP and he referred me to a lovely hospital in Fremantle, so hopefully it will be sorted soon.

My boyfriend is the primary applicant on our visa so we don't have to worry about that. Im sure you should be entitled to some time off but it may be the same as my case where i haven't worked long enough for paid maternity leave.

I have heard that there are lots of mother and baby groups around, i did see one when i was in Kings Park a couple of days ago, so i don't thik you ill have any trouble finding one.

Good luck xx

Thanks, will have a look at that as Subiaco is near to me.

We had our second Son here. Best of both worlds really, felt like we were in a hotel room but with the best of care. You can have the baby where you feel most comfortable, even in the bath if you want. Great being attached to a hospital too. Our youngest had some serious complications just after he was born, virtually stopped breathing, he was in an incubator and up on the ward in a matter of minutes. The staff there were excellent. Best of all didn't cost a penny, all supplied under medicare, didn't have private health care at the time.