Moving to Melbourne.....

scooterdan

Hi Guys,

We have been living in Adelaide for nearly 4 years now.....and are considering a move to Melbourne in the next year!

We currently live around 20-25mins from Adelaide city...what sort of rent would this be in Melb?

Has anyone moved interstate to Melb....how easy is it? I imagine it to be simpler to migrating, as we have to pack the car/truck and drive pretty much!!

Thanks

Dan

Melbourne is nothing like Adelaide as a city. Adelaide is very centralized, and you are either in Adelaide, or not. Melbourne sprawls over a much much bigger area.

Do you need to be in the CBD, or are you in a trade that can be anywhere in or around Melbourne?

What do you do for work, do you have kids, beach or bush life?

Where to live will really depend on where you get a job. Don't want to live out west, if your job is in the east and vice versa. It might be better to let us know your price range for rent, and what kind of housing you want (house/apt 2bed, 3 bed etc?). Are you ok with 30-60 minute commutes? Or, do you enjoy inner city lifestyle?

Melbourne is far more city like than Adelaide and is very sprawling e.g. Pakenham to the city will take you about an hour by train, but Paklenham is South East if you were to work North West you would have a mega commute. When you talk about public transport are you wanting to be on a train route, happy with a bus to the train or would you prefer the tram? All have their pros and cons. Will you need public transport to get to work or will you just want it there as a back up?

What type of property did you have in mind - a garden for yourselves and the dog? A small inner city apartment and the advantage of city life outside your door or a more rural lifestyle? Do you want an old established area, or a new developing area with lots of new builds to choose from? Will you need room to work from home or will you be working for a boss and then home is home? how much travelling do you expect to be doing - if your job needs to to drive around the city a lot then probably you would be best to base yourself near one of the major highways so you have easy access to all areas.

Rents in Melbourne are pretty expensive - the nearer the city the higher they are generally, also the nearer to train stations the higher the rent. About $400/week seems to be where the agents start and then it begins to climb. You can of course get places a lot cheaper but you will need to really shop around.

Do you have any particular interests as a family e.g. cycling, hiking, fishing so that may also help narrow down areas

We are living in North Melbourne, which is really convenient, only an 8min tram ride into the city, and a $10 taxi fare home drunk :) My wife works in the city, and catches the tram to work. We spend quite a bit of time in the city. In the inner suburbs you are looking at 500-700/w for a 2+ bed place. We are paying $690 for a 3bed 2 bath townhouse with garage. Benefit for us is that we really don't use our car very much now. For places with good transport, you should take a look at the various train/tram maps here:

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/maps-stations-stops/metropolitan-maps/

Pay attention to where these routes go, cross referencing with google maps. Also, you might want to check on cycle paths. The network here is pretty good, and I can from here to downtown pretty quick by bike too.

If the price range I mentioned is too high, then you can consider suburbs further out. I think the cheapest you would find would be around $300, and that would be out in western suburbs such as Point Cook, or out in the outer eastern burbs, but these really wouldn't be that great for a quick hop into the city.

All I'm going to say is that you might want to sell your SA registered cars/motorbikes and buy in Vic.... the transfer is a costly paperwork nightmare and your car has to pass a roadworthy test... also there's some rule which I don't understand fully about vehicle stability controls...

If you're loading up your own van and taking off then it's pretty cheap.... ITS in Adelaide are reasonably priced if you're going to use a removals company.

You can pick up a rental for around the same price in Melb as ADL.... just make sure you have heating, when you choose somewhere.... it's a lot colder in the winter than ADL (just my own experience, but I am a wimp!)

Good luck with the move... I'm back at the beginning of May! (Done ADL... trying out Vic for size!)

Archived