14/15 year old moving to Melbourne? What's it like?

Guest MissyKCornwall

Guest MissyKCornwall

Hello, we've been looking for the past few years to move to australia. My step-dad went out there for 8 months last year to work and we went out in the last month to visit but that was in Sydney. We found out about a month ago that there is a job in Melbourne. And we are all really excited but he's leaving next month if all goes to plan. I just wanna know how Melbourne is. Is it similar to Sydney? What are the schools like? Is there a lot to do there? Just wanna meet people and talk to them about how stuff is out there? x

:smile:

Guest Aussie in the UK

I'm an Aussie girl born & raised in Sydney so I never went to school in Melbourne, but I have cousins who did and I lived there for about a year with my bf when I was in my late teens. There's plenty to do!! I found it a lot more fun than Sydney actually, but I suppose it depends on what stuff you like doing.

People say Melbourne is the most cosmopolitan and European-style city in Australia, which I agree with. There's plenty of arts and culture, museums, theatres, and that sort of thing. There is also loads of stuff to do outdoors, like St Kilda beach (nothing like the Sydney beaches, but still lovely) lots of big parks (Albert Park was my favourite), and a few summer music festivals around Victoria. There are street markets for everything from food to vintage clothes, and plenty of shopping. There's also mountains nearby where you can go skiing in winter.

Hope that helps a little. Any other questions just ask and I'll try to help if I can! =)

Guest Genrol

I agree largely with the above post. It's a lot like Sydney, but very "cosmopolitan". It's like the Paris of Australia. It has a lot of boutiques, cafes, small laneways, trams, street art. It's very nice. I, personally, prefer Sydney, but that's not to say that I think Melbourne is any worse, it just that Sydney suits my personality better. Though, Melbourne is seen as the best city in the world to live in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_most_livable_cities

And they'res plenty to do, don't worry. Just as much as the UK, if not more. Schooling is generally better then the UK as well. If you can't afford a full privte school but want to do more then just public schooling, then I suggest a Catholic school. They're not as religious here as I know many Catholic schools in the UK are, but they're nicer.