Stupid question about flights!

Katerina

Hi guys, flying from Dublin to Rocky tomorrow and the panic is creeping in :) We will check in all our bags all the way to Brisbane in Dublin , just wondering do we have to check in ourselves anywhere in London and Singapore? Or we just go straight to our gate? What if the flight is delayed and we are running late , will they know?? Sorry about dumb Q just don't want ti miss anything!! Thanks

You check in only once and you wi get boarding passes in Dublin for each flight though you I'll go through security at each airport. If you any problems just speak to the airline staff. If you are delayed they will know and try to hold the plane for you if it's not too long a delay. If you were delayed a lot and missed the connection then it would be the. Ext flight

You can normally check your bags all the way to your final destination. Check in staff in Dublin will tell you what to do. As a transit passenger you don't normally have to check in at the airports you will be stopping at. But do ask your airline representatives along the way. If any of your flights are delayed you need to make yourself known to airline staff. They may not necessarily know you are getting a connectiing flight but will help you if you miss your connecting flight. They don't hold aircraft for anyone unfortunately, unless lots of people are also connecting. Bottom line, keep asking airline staff what to do. It's their job to help you.

Good luck on your trip. It's such a miserable day in Dublin today. I'll bet you're glad to be heading for warmer climes.

Its usually straight forward between flights. Just make sure you keep your boarding passed for all legs and your passport(s) to hand for each boarding. And make sure you find out the next departure gate as soon as possible after getting off the previous flight to give yourself time to get there as can be a long way between gates. Heathrow it seems like miles pegging it between gates or they announce it only 45 mins before and you are all the way at the other end and have to scramble to get to the opposite end :huh:

Guest Longtime Lurker

I have flown London to Brisbane three times and changed planes at Singapore and have not had to check in again as you remain airside. On one trip our A380 was delayed four hours on the tarmac (with us sat on it) at Heathrow so we were resigned to missing our connecting flight.

As we were landing in Singapore the crew announced our flight to Brisbane had been delayed and would shortly begin boarding so we had to had to get to the gate straight away. In this particular case we were not changing carriers and I think Singapore Airlines delayed the Brisbane flight as it would have left half empty as so many passengers were on the same flight as us - not an option for the Airline financially I suspect. So as you see not a definitive answer to your query!

By the way, I would recommend the showers at Singapore Airport to freshen up if you get the time (transit hotel located in the terminal). I have also booked a room at the hotel on a couple of my trips and in fact had booked one for the trip when we were delayed. We were not charged when we failed to turn up as you pay on your arrival.

Have a safe uneventful journey! Hopefully someone else will come along and tell you their travel experiences.

As others have said you don't normally have to check in again, although sometimes you do so worth checking. When we were travelling around in South Africa, we had to check in but our bags were automatically transferred. One of our flights were delayed in and the airline staff took us and ran across the airport to guide us to our next flight as we literally had 5 minutes. After pegging it across the airport that too was delayed lol.

Guest tandcmum

Wow, how exciting that you are going today, I can't wait till we go in a couple of weeks. As far as I know and have been told your bags will be checked in all the way through. We will get our bags back at Brisbane but that is because we are staying there a couple of days, if we weren't i don't know if our bags would have gone straight through to townsville. Also at heathrow apparently you follow some purple signs for connecting international passengers so you don't go through a the customs etc if you are changing terminals.

Allthe best, have a great flight x

Just to add a touch of doubt, the OP may have to check in again in London. It's years since I've flown between Dublin and Heathrow but it certainly used to be that it was treated like a domestic flight with no passport control or customs formalities. If this is still the case, you may have to do all that in London.

As I say, I'm not sure but the airlines will be able to advise you.

Once you're through passport control (wherever) that should be it though--just go to the new gate in Singapore in good time. As somebody else implied, the possession of boarding cards is always the way to tell. If you have them for onward flights, you're good. If not, you'll have to go to an airline desk for the connecting flight.

Just to add a touch of doubt, the OP may have to check in again in London. It's years since I've flown between Dublin and Heathrow but it certainly used to be that it was treated like a domestic flight with no passport control or customs formalities. If this is still the case, you may have to do all that in London.

As I say, I'm not sure but the airlines will be able to advise you.

Once you're through passport control (wherever) that should be it though--just go to the new gate in Singapore in good time. As somebody else implied, the possession of boarding cards is always the way to tell. If you have them for onward flights, you're good. If not, you'll have to go to an airline desk for the connecting flight.

It is definitely no longer like a domestic flight between London / Dublin. Full EU international travel rules apply with customs and passport checks in operation. You will probably be checked right through from Dublin to Brisbane but once again ask as you go, even if they tell you in Dublin that you don't need to check in as you go.

It is definitely no longer like a domestic flight between London / Dublin. Full EU international travel rules apply with customs and passport checks in operation. You will probably be checked right through from Dublin to Brisbane but once again ask as you go, even if they tell you in Dublin that you don't need to check in as you go.

Thanks guys, all info is greatly appreciated !!

Archived