Help, Perth or Adelaide???

Guest Susie

Guest Susie

Hi there,

Its finally sunk in that we actually have our visa and we need to make decisions as hope to go in August.

Really, really struggling to choose between Perth and Adelaide and would be sooooo grateful for any advice anyone can offer. My OH no help as he says I can decide, he's not bothered!!!!

:wacko:

We are looking for all the usual things - good weather, a pool, safe place for kids, things to do for children and teenagers, slower pace of life, great place for our family/friends to visit. Please help me........ I know we should come visit both places then decide but not practical with dogs and kids etc...

Adelaide is said to be cheaper property-wise but is that for a reason? Is it too dry and is drought a major problem?? Is Perth too remote??

I'll be so greatful for any opinions/advice..:notworthy:

Guest TheHollies
Hi there,

Its finally sunk in that we actually have our visa and we need to make decisions as hope to go in August.

Really, really struggling to choose between Perth and Adelaide and would be sooooo grateful for any advice anyone can offer. My OH no help as he says I can decide, he's not bothered!!!!

We are looking for all the usual things - good weather, a pool, safe place for kids, things to do for children and teenagers, slower pace of life, great place for our family/friends to visit. Please help me........ I know we should come visit both places then decide but not practical with dogs and kids etc...

Adelaide is said to be cheaper property-wise but is that for a reason? Is it too dry and is drought a major problem?? Is Perth too remote??

Hi Susie

We have the same sort of dilemma :arghh:. At the start we were all for Adelaide, like you say, properties cheaper and has the lifestyle we like, then we started looking at Perth after our agent put the idea in our heads. Now, we are looking at Melbourne! Its so difficult to decide. We arent going on a visit beforehand so we have spent hours on PIO looking at what everyone has to say about all 3 places. Its a nightmare! Like a lot have said, 'what suits one may not suit another'. Have you looked at jobs in each place to see what will suit you most? are you or have you been on a reccie? we are just looking at everything we want to suit our lives and seeing which place will fill all requirements. lol. Good luck with everything, im sure you will get the answers to your questions on here!

Best wishes

Kirsty, Ian, Emily & Matthew. :wubclub:

Guest Susie

Hi Kirsty and family,

Thanks for you reply. We are both teachers, so job wise we hope to get out there and then sort out jobs. We'll do supply teaching or whatever until we find a suburb we like and permanent jobs.

A reccie would be good but will eat into our savings for buying a house. I think we're just going to have to take a gamble on it.

Have you got your visa yet? If not good luck and hope it comes soon. Got estate agents coming this week to value house and want to get it on the market asap!! Stressful.

All I know about Melbourne is the weather quite changeable.

Guest TheHollies

Hi Susie

Not sure what the teaching jobs are like over there, i can remember one of the Wanted Down Under programmes had a teacher on. I think she wanted to go to Brisbane to start with but eventually settled in Adelaide and settled really well. (did you watch it?). My hubbies a mechanic, weve found theres plenty of work for the qualifications he has. We are in the same frame as you in regards to reccies. We are saving all our money for the big move. We are signing with our agent next week, so weve got a long way to go yet :sad: but it will be worth the wait! Good luck with your house sale, we sold ours last year, so we have one less bit of stress to deal with, lol.

:wubclub:

Hya Susie,

I lived in Perth for 2years and loved it! The weather is great :cool:-although v.hot in summer!! It has fantastic beaches all up the WA coastline- so if you don't have a pool, there is always the Indian Ocean! There are plenty of nice restaurants, bars, cafes etc as it has a very alfresco culture. The people are friendly and it's a great place for kids as they have the opportunity to have a very outdoor/sporty life. The house prices have nearly trebled in the last 5years, but like everywhere, price is dependant on location.

I have family in Adelaide and have made many visits there. I think of SA as a place i would retire to- lots of old people( I am 36 and felt young there!) Just my opinion- sorry Adelaiders :unsure:

Aussies do regard Perth as another counrty though as it is nearer to Singapore, and they say WA means Wait Awhile as they are so laid back. Just depends what you like. Can you not have a reccie?

Good Luck!

Guest mandisfam
Hi there,

Hi Susie, Snap......thats the two places we cannot decide between. We absolutely love the sound of Adelaide (this is based on what we have read and talking to the SA team at the recent expo), we are keen on Perth too mainly because oh has a cousin there and maybe its better to know 1 person than no-one when you move out there.

Its a tough decision. We just cannot afford to do a reccie, unless its to validate a visas. But we are only at the start of our application so have at least a year to decide.

You said you were a teacher is that primary or secondary???? I remember at the recent expo we attended the WA people said they were desperate for secondary school teachers but not so on the primary front, but they expected the demand for primary school teachers to increase over the next 2/3 years.

Good luck with where ever you decide.

Mandisfam

Guest Susie

Do you know what - I think it has to be Perth!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

We're secondary teachers so thanks for that advice Mandisfam. I've heard Adelaide called the retirement village of Oz (absolutely no offence intended to anyone already there or going there) but would like a bit of excitement in my life!! Also have my 15 year old teenage girl to consider!!

So what if Perth is remote, I guess day to day we're not likely to be jumping around adelaide, sydney, melbourne anyway.

Good luck to you Mandisfam, Kirsty and family and Laura (if you awaiting visa). You guys should get it much quicker than us, we are part of a massive group of people who applied in August 2007 for our visas and which have taken much longer than normal due to changes in the application system.

Cheers :cool:

Hi Susie,

I am a primary school teacher and taught in Perth. It was a dream compared to London!!Alot of my friends teach in WA and they say that there are shortages-most of the WA teachers are in London- they outnumber us!

I am moving to Melbourne in July with my OH. He is Ozzy and has the 'WA is miles away' mentality but I am actively trying to get him to change his mind :jiggy:

Good luck wherever you may go

We came to Perth (unseen) after visiting Cairns, Brisbane and Sydney. Whatever you're looking for there will be a part of Aus that fits the bill. I like the climate of WA it's more mediterranean, we get a breeze (the fremantle doctor) which makes it feel less humid. I like the fact that perth is 'isolated' - that doesn't mean you won't meet people (as my daughter had thought), but there if (for me anyway) a feeling of space. Beaches are wonderful (as with all of aus I would imagine). There is a massive teacher shortage here - so I would imagine jobs would be ok for you. We certainly feel we made the right choice.

Ali

Archived