Nice Areas to Live

AnxiousMum

I recently downloaded a where to live in Melbourne guide. Not sure such a good idea now as really confused as to where is safe and a nice area for family. Many of the areas I was looking at have been marked as crime hotspots on this guide. eg Gowanbrae, Coburg and Brunswick. Anyone know of any nice family orientated places to live not too far from Melbourne City to commute?

:twitcy:

Guest MelbourneBen

I would agree, you should consider the SE coastal suberbs, starting from elwood right through to moordiallic, all our commutable.

Guest Anly

I agree but Carlton is nice and altho Brunswick and Fitzroy etc have druggies they also have cool things like cheap rents and Ceres Community Park with organic food market and make your own bike shop and Collingwood Childrens Farm It has a leftie community feel and funky cafes and shops It is more conservative down the SE but there are some lovely beaches Sandringham has a great primary and a great secondary school if you can afford the real estate..............

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jocuz

Lakeside Pakenham Look the website up cheap land forsale 1hour 15 mins on train to Melbourne CBD. Live closer to the city in the rush hour it could still take nearly an hour plus parking is $10 early bird all day. Train is $161 per month for zones 1+2 Adult or $80 for a consession. Petrol $1.50 per ltr and the second hand car market is more expensive than uk, you will be looking at $4,000 for something that runs well. Good Luck!

Hi there is more to Melbourne than the south!!! snobs id say!?! lol

All trains lead into Melbourne so no matter where you live, transport should not be a problem! what price are you looking at? would you like to build your own house, buy a new house or an old one? 1940's onwards? as its no good saying st kilda if you want a new house or point cook if you want an older area

Geoffrey

Guest MelbourneBen

Agree theres heaps of nice areas other than south east coastal suberbs, I just know these area's the best.

Guest Elimai1

Hi,

My husband has been doing research for 4 years now (I've only just give him the go ahead to suggest we go). He has a list of a few suburbs from things he has read or heard about. But obviously you guys living there know for best, can you give any opinions on Eltham, Vermont South, Cheltenham??? We were thinking of renting for a good 6 months, obviously we went good schools etc. :v_SPIN:

Erika

(newly converted)

Hi,

My husband has been doing research for 4 years now (I've only just give him the go ahead to suggest we go). He has a list of a few suburbs from things he has read or heard about. But obviously you guys living there know for best, can you give any opinions on Eltham, Vermont South, Cheltenham??? We were thinking of renting for a good 6 months, obviously we went good schools etc. :v_SPIN:

Erika

(newly converted)

Hi Erika (this is not a personal attack)

Have you been to Victoria yet? 4 years is alot of hard work and i wish you luck, but if its only facts and figures on web pages you may be in for a shock? But i guess when you want something bad enough you live, breath and eat it dont you? i think we all do! i guess what im trying to say is go with an open mind and life should be alot smoother for you. wishing you the best of luck

Geoffrey:chatterbox:

Guest The Pom Queen

Which ever suburb you choose you will always get good and bad. I must admit we definately prefered the South East Suburbs over the West, but there are beautiful suburbs in the West . Everyone has their own ideas as to what is good and what is bad. It annoys me when you get some people bad mouthing an area/suburb and they have never lived there, some of these people are even still in the UK and have never visited Australia.

Come to Australia with an open mind, take out a short term rental and visit the suburbs for yourself. I know it is hard when you have no idea where you want to be, but please only use peoples recommendations as guidelines.

Which ever suburb you choose you will always get good and bad. I must admit we definately prefered the South East Suburbs over the West, but there are beautiful suburbs in the West . Everyone has their own ideas as to what is good and what is bad. It annoys me when you get some people bad mouthing an area/suburb and they have never lived there, some of these people are even still in the UK and have never visited Australia.

Come to Australia with an open mind, take out a short term rental and visit the suburbs for yourself. I know it is hard when you have no idea where you want to be, but please only use peoples recommendations as guidelines.

Agree with you ive lived in Melbourne on and off for 28 years. The problem is people need to talk about price, location (old new) type of house when wanting help. its no good telling people all about Toorak when there is no way you could afford to live there. no good talking about old areas when they want a new house etc.

Please when asking for help include lots of info, what is on your wish list???

Guest Elimai1

Hi,

Sorry wasn't meaning to sound like forcing my opinion, I was actually hoping someone could say if they were decent areas or not. We have 3 friends out there and I have probably not mentioned it but previosu to the 4 years my husband spent reseaching he spent a year in Melbourne, but obviously he didn;t go as a father and husband but was just working so he never got to see much of the suburbs. I however have never been and like to get a wide range of opinions to question and listen to. I am looking at this with an open mind I realise it will be a complete different way of life/culture etc but surely to do something like this and uproot you all must have a little part of you that had a better expectation of Australia than UK. To be honest I haven't been living and breathing it I have only just come round to it, my husbands career gives us the life we have.

So apologies wasn't giving advice on areas, gosh wouldn;t be that presumptious while in the UK. Just heard about the areas I mentioned and was hoping that Anxiousmum had heard of them and what she had heard. I am constantly thinking of my girls and uprooting them a number of times to different areas isn;t going to be good for schooling but if you get a rough guideline from people already over it can only help you.

Erika

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Erika

There is no need to apologise to anyone and your questions were appropriate. I had never been to Australia in my life and like you jumped in with both feet, but I thoroughly love it here and would never go back to the UK which, I am sure will be your exact thoughts when you arrive. The suburbs that I had set in stone from reading the newsgroups before we left were definately not for me once we arrived, as I say everyone has their own ideas. Unfortunately I cannot advise you on the suburbs you have asked about hopefully someone else can, but like anxiousmum please ignore the guides etc and chose where YOU want to live when you get here:jiggy:

Hi,

Sorry wasn't meaning to sound like forcing my opinion, I was actually hoping someone could say if they were decent areas or not. We have 3 friends out there and I have probably not mentioned it but previosu to the 4 years my husband spent reseaching he spent a year in Melbourne, but obviously he didn;t go as a father and husband but was just working so he never got to see much of the suburbs. I however have never been and like to get a wide range of opinions to question and listen to. I am looking at this with an open mind I realise it will be a complete different way of life/culture etc but surely to do something like this and uproot you all must have a little part of you that had a better expectation of Australia than UK. To be honest I haven't been living and breathing it I have only just come round to it, my husbands career gives us the life we have.

So apologies wasn't giving advice on areas, gosh wouldn;t be that presumptious while in the UK. Just heard about the areas I mentioned and was hoping that Anxiousmum had heard of them and what she had heard. I am constantly thinking of my girls and uprooting them a number of times to different areas isn;t going to be good for schooling but if you get a rough guideline from people already over it can only help you.

Erika

No please dont say sorry it wasn't a personal attack at you or anyone else everybody has an idea on what they want and can only adise on what they see and hear. I just didn't want you going over to Melbourne with your heart set on one area, and then being dissapointed. I did read it, that you wanted help and advise. at not one point did i look at it that you were pushing your opinion!

So i am the one that is sorry if you feel that i had a go at you.

Guest Elimai1

thanks to you all, I think it's just the case of emotions running high and feeling a bit more sensitive than normal. Honestly you go through so many ups and downs during the initial stages don't you.....I'll probably follow my husband and loose all my hair by the end of this!!! I have only posted a few times and you lot have already made me feel a lot better about things so it's good to know there is a lot of support out there.

To anxious mum any feedback you get for schools and area would be appreciated just to get some more ideas. Good luck xxx

Guest MelbourneBen

Hi Elimai1

Dont know about Eltham personally, but ive visited vermot a few times and it seemed very nice. Cheltenham is also very nice and right next to the beach. I suppose it all comes down to budget. I would expect Vermot to be quite pricey to buy as is Cheltenham.

My partner and I earn about $100k a year between us, which is quite a modest income yet we can afford to rent a nice to 2 bed flat in Brighton with plenty left over. Therefore why not rent somewhere in an area that looks good to you like cheltenham and then explore the rest of Melbourne once your here. That way you've got no nasty surprises when you first arrive and you can look for somewhere to buy when your here.

Guest itskaren

Hi

I too downloaded the 'where to live in Melbourne' guide and looked at it continoiusly for over a year! We crossed off everywhere with high crime rates, poor schools etc. We headed for Mt Marha. I hated Mt Martha and ended up on the Eastern side not far from Croydon. never even considered this when we were originally looking. Funny how things work out .... Children love Billanook College in Mooroolbark. This was the best thing for us. Good luck!

Good luck to you.

Guest Elimai1

Hi all,

Thank you all and I totally agree, my hubby and I were talking about this last night. Def want to rent in recommended areas obviously because we don't know. It's ok going on a holiday but totally different to living/working etc we are under no illusions about that. So yes rent somewhere and like you say once we are there who knows what area we'll fall in love with!! We are quite lucky in the respect that my husband as already been offered one job for $115,000 (but they want him in 6 months) not the right time yet for us. this is what got him started on this road again. Plus I work for HBOS and we have Bank West who I have put the feelers out to for part time work. We would also have around $180000 deposit. But this of course means nothing to us yet because we don't know yet what it cost to run a house there. Suggestions/hints tips the more to chew over the better are always welcome. So yes def rent. Some people mentioned Mornington? this does look lovely but then like you say may prefer somewhere else when arrive....

Guest itskaren

we rented in mount martha just 2 minutes from mornington and I would much prefer mornington if I had the chance again. We had the landlady from hell!!! I paid in advance in the UK (3 months) out of the 6 months. the place was a dump to say the least. I just cried and cried. So we 'paid her off' and left after 3 weeks there. For us schools were the most important thng. In the uk, my 10 year old would cry every day as he just didn't want to go. Lots of special needs in his class being disruptive etc. He just wanted to learn. however the school they are at now is fantastic. the fees are $9k a year and is worth every cent. They are up and dressed by 6.30 am wanting to go!

The place where we live is ok, but not the place where I want to die in! the hills are lovely if you like that sort of thing, like Olinda, Sassafras and Mt Dandonong. It is about an hour to the city in these places.

The only problem we found is that it is virtually impossible to rent anywhere for less than 12 months. 6 months is just not the norm here. So it can be pricey in short term accommodation.

hope this helps a bit!

Guest Elimai1

Hi Vul885

What area do you live in (if you don't mind me asking) ? Are your children in a private school ? To be honest that is one of the main things (apart from my husbands job) we are scared stiff of the options for schools for out girls and could never afford private in this country. But it's also the sporting facilities and the quality of outside life they get. My girls love swimming, walking but we haven't been able to ge outside much in the past year without wellies and coats and thats June/July!!! You don't mind if you get a decent summer do you but nope we don't even have that. If we are lucky enough to find a place to rent in we are quite happy with then 12 months is good but like you said if not it sounds like some savings put aside as a get out clause...

Guest itskaren

Hi Erika. We live in Mooroolbark just before the lillydale line (Eastern side). We could never afford a private school in the UK. My boys 10 and 8 love swimming and belong to the Lillydale club. Also karate, chess, tennis etc. They have more of a social life than we do! Feel free to ask any more questions. Kind regards karen

(sorry about the VUL885! Not sure how to change it. I thought it was a password. My first car reg. number!) Didn't realise it was going to be on show as my name!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest junan70

Hi all

I'm in the process of applying for uni course in Melbourne (tho I'm 38 next week, so my partying days are thankfully over!!)

While travelling in Melbourne, I stayed in Sth Yarra, near the Botanical gardens and a park at the other end of the street. It was gorgeous, Chapel St and Toorak rd nearby too. I've had a look at rental prices in the area and they seem pretty affordable....erm, so am I missing something?? Why not gobsmackingly expensive??

Admittedly I'm looking at 1 bedders, but there are tons of flats available for less than what I'm paying here in Leicester. Anyone else lived in that area??

You get what you pay for and there is a shortage of rental properties now so landlords can up the rent.

I think its best to not really pick an area until you come here and get jobs because Melbourne is such a large area you can end up having a long commute and if people are not used to it this could be very hard.

Also once you get to work you get information from others to help with areas.

You should also note that newer areas and particularly in the west its hard to get on a doctors list. My mother moved recently to a small Peninsula Town as she need to live on the flat and she cannot see a doctor there as their lists are full and I have to take her to my doctor whose list was also full but I managed to get her on it.

There are many doctors close to the city but the further you move out and what the doctors consider less desirable places for them to live are poorly serviced.

If I had to move anywhere new around Melbourne I would phone them and ask if they had room on their list I have lived here thirty years and until it happened to my Mother I did not know there was problem.

Archived