Arriving with a small person...

MelbJ

Hi all,

My husband and I are on track to relocate back to Melbourne (I'm from there, he is the POM) in 2017, either beginning of the year or mid year dependant on a few factors. His visa is in the final stages so we're actually a little ahead of schedule.

We'll be arriving with our daughter who will be 3.5 or 4 at that stage. Obviously being from there I'm familiar with areas and lifestyle etc but have never lived there with a child. Can anyone give me practical advice such as do we need to find a local maternal / child health clinic to review her vaccinations before starting Kinder, what are waiting lists for daycare etc like etc...

We'll looking to move to somewhere Bayside (Chelsea - Mentone) due to commute times and location between various relatives. Has anyone got any information re Kindergartens / Daycare? Somewhat annoyingly she'll have to start school in 2019 as her birthday is in June so she just misses the 2018 cut off -over here she would start next Sept, hence why I'm keen to move before she starts. She goes to nursery here where I work 3 days a week but I'll probably be looking for a full time job on arrival.

Any advice welcome, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

My husband and I are on track to relocate back to Melbourne (I'm from there, he is the POM) in 2017, either beginning of the year or mid year dependant on a few factors. His visa is in the final stages so we're actually a little ahead of schedule.

We'll be arriving with our daughter who will be 3.5 or 4 at that stage. Obviously being from there I'm familiar with areas and lifestyle etc but have never lived there with a child. Can anyone give me practical advice such as do we need to find a local maternal / child health clinic to review her vaccinations before starting Kinder, what are waiting lists for daycare etc like etc...

We'll looking to move to somewhere Bayside (Chelsea - Mentone) due to commute times and location between various relatives. Has anyone got any information re Kindergartens / Daycare? Somewhat annoyingly she'll have to start school in 2019 as her birthday is in June so she just misses the 2018 cut off -over here she would start next Sept, hence why I'm keen to move before she starts. She goes to nursery here where I work 3 days a week but I'll probably be looking for a full time job on arrival.

Any advice welcome, thanks!

Hi we live slap bang in the middle of your search area. Best kindys around us are Elonera, Mordialloc and the brand new Parkdale hub one. Mordialloc has also just been completely rebuilt.

Don't worry about her starting school in 2019. She will not be the oldest in her class - probably in the middle. Kids here don't start school often until they are almost 6, and kids that start young sometimes get left behind.

BB