Mornington, Berwick, Mount Martha ...anyone know these areas please?

Fowler Family

Hi all

Have just obtained Victoria state sponsorship and are now trying to find an area where we can settle.

Minefield as we've never been before.

We are not city people and would hate to live too near the city but don't know realistically how far we need to move away from Melbourne to know that we're not in the city if that makes sense?!

Don't want to live in the sticks but like a relaxed pace of life with open spaces. We have 2 kids aged 7 and 10 so schools are high on our priority list. Would Mornington, Berwick, Mount Martha etc be suitable in terms of the comments we have made and are there many job opportunities in those areas for construction trades (electrician) or is it a likely commute to Melbourne?

I appreciate I am asking a lot here, but if anyone lives in those areas or know of them, just some general pointers would be very much gratefully received!!

Thanks guys :smile:

Guest The Pom Queen

Each of those suburbs are great and you would be happy in any of them. If you like to be near the beach I would look at Mornington or if you need great schools a train line, more choice in housing then look at Berwick. If I had to move back to Melbourne I'd be torn between Mornington and Berwick, I love Cannons Creek but there is nothing there just a village full of mozzies, but it's so peaceful.

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry forgot to mention jobs, it should be no problem with all the new housing estates going up, also look at Dandenong for jobs (just do not live there)

Each of those suburbs are great and you would be happy in any of them. If you like to be near the beach I would look at Mornington or if you need great schools a train line, more choice in housing then look at Berwick. If I had to move back to Melbourne I'd be torn between Mornington and Berwick, I love Cannons Creek but there is nothing there just a village full of mozzies, but it's so peaceful.

So I am far enough out of Melbourne in your opinion there?

I don't need to go as far as Shepparton for example?

Thanks so much for your response, this is so hard choosing somewhere blind!!!

Guest The Pom Queen
So I am far enough out of Melbourne in your opinion there?

I don't need to go as far as Shepparton for example?

Thanks so much for your response, this is so hard choosing somewhere blind!!!

Lol Shepperton may be a little bit of a commute, lovely place though. Somewhere else I love us Mt Macedon in the North, but you would probably have more work options in the SE.

Guest The Pom Queen

Anytime, I can remember when we were looking for suburbs, we were originally heading for Mornington as everyone told us how pretty it was, then when we thought we would be working in the city we decided to move closer so lived in Lynbrook then Lyndhurst.

Guest The Pom Queen
One more thing.......is the weather really that bad in Victoria???

Lots of people complaining on here - is a good summer pretty much guaranteed or is it really as unpredictable as the UK?

:unsure:

Lol I am one who moved after 8 years because of the weather. Honestly, no it isn't that bad and coming from the UK you will find it great. Try not to land in winter because it can make you wonder what you have done. It took me 6 years to acclimatise, I lasted another 2 years and froze to death (my freezing is anything under 22 degrees, in the UK we would have been sun bathing). The only thing I will say is the houses don't have the insulation and are not made as solid as UK houses so you do feel the cold more.

We are now in Cairns where the av temp so far has been 30 all year, which is perfect for me

Yeah I am a sun lover too but my son (10 yrs) can't stand it!!

As long as its not raining all the time and we get the weather to enjoy an outdoor life then I think we'll be happy.

I do hate the cold though so will maybe have to look at having our home fully insulated when we eventually buy!

My fingers are crossed for good weather!!!

Thanks again :smile:

There are lots of Brits living in Mount Martha, Mornington, and Berwick. You may care to join Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of the page, lots of people already here who can give you information you need for schools, life etc.

We live on the Mornington Peninsula but on the Western Port side which is more farms and horse studs. We love it and have lived here for 25 years now and we can get to Mornington in 10 Minutes. We have a train line as well which is a bonus and lots of bike tracks. Unfortunately there are never a lot of houses for rent where we live and in fact there are never a lot for sale either. People come and stay.

There are many new Estates being built at Cranbourne so work for your oh should be ok.

South Frankston is also a nice place to live and has the best public high school in the area, but you have to live in the zone. Bit soon for your two but you may like to keep that in mind.

Hi there.

We have just moved to mornington from Kent. We have been here 3 months, and we are settling in well.

The winter has been quite lovely, the locals think it has been a terrible winter. We have had sunny days, drying clothes outside, on the beach, Other days rainy but it rarely rains all day like the uk. You usually get to the sun at some point of the day.

We are looking forward to summer now, when all the locals should come out of winter hiding and get to meet more people.

We have a 7 and 4 year old. Our 7 year old goes to St macartans school which is great. It is a big school but we thought it was great as it is 3 years old, very Eco friendly and naplan results are great.

We have a great rental house, which we couldn't afford to buy , but can afford to rent. It's huge, loads of space for us all, views of sea and pool.

It's early days settling in. I have good and bad days,I miss my family terribly. But very lucky as my brother s moving over this week and parents come over for a holiday in December - can't wait.

If you need any info , let me know and all the best with your decision.

Mornington is lovely, so is Mt Eliza, Mt Martha and South Frankston. Try and live as close as you can to work as peak hour traffic can be a pain. Good news is the Peninsula Freeway opens in a few months which will make driving to Melbourne a lot easier. Frankston is the nearest station for train travel to Melbourne.

I work in berwick and live close by in cranbourne east. It sits about 45 mins SE of the city and it in a massive growth corridor. Mornington would be more of an hour or so. If you are going to work down this end the id go for the penninsular to live.

melbourne is something different, not like a uk city. Its got plenty of green spaces. You might like it and chose to go for city life!

sheppardton is 4 hours north of melb.....not commutable! Lol

Hi Fowler family

currently out here on reccie and was having a look around Berwick today we saw 3 houses and 3 schools

my kids are 7 and 11 we looked at Berwick lodge, Berwick and Timbarra primary schools

houses were big and spacious and very reasonable on rent ranging from 370 to 430 weekly and the staff at the schools very friendly and helpful with our enquiries. Berwick lodge has before school care starting from 6 30am and Timbarra is p-9 with bonus that kids from there can attend any of secondary schools in area instead of being restricted by zoning which is the case for those moving up at end of year 6 from other primary schools

Generally the area had a peaceful feel and nice views around the only thing which struck me though is that everything seems very spread out, the last house we saw was on the chase estate which I think is a popular estate but driving around the estate did not see any corner shops etc and all of the schools said the children travel in from a few k's. It seemed to us def kind of place you would need a car if living on one of new housing developments.

I think driving around it very much reminded me of Milton Keynes only nicer and no concrete cows

Workwise I have job offer in Camberwell so would anticipate around 40 min commute if traffic was kind, it was half five when we began drive back along Monash freeway to city traffic busy but ok however on other side people travelling into area from city was rammed and very slow.

weather here has been changable we have been quite chilly at night in apartment though missing our cosy double glazed windows and radiators

hope that is helpful for you

mem

Hi there.

We have just moved to mornington from Kent. We have been here 3 months, and we are settling in well.

The winter has been quite lovely, the locals think it has been a terrible winter. We have had sunny days, drying clothes outside, on the beach, Other days rainy but it rarely rains all day like the uk. You usually get to the sun at some point of the day.

We are looking forward to summer now, when all the locals should come out of winter hiding and get to meet more people.

We have a 7 and 4 year old. Our 7 year old goes to St macartans school which is great. It is a big school but we thought it was great as it is 3 years old, very Eco friendly and naplan results are great.

We have a great rental house, which we couldn't afford to buy , but can afford to rent. It's huge, loads of space for us all, views of sea and pool.

It's early days settling in. I have good and bad days,I miss my family terribly. But very lucky as my brother s moving over this week and parents come over for a holiday in December - can't wait.

If you need any info , let me know and all the best with your decision.

cwl - thanks so much for your post - was really helpful - we have a 7 year old and 10 year old so i will keep in touch for sure if you don't mind me picking your brains!!

Hi Fowler family

currently out here on reccie and was having a look around Berwick today we saw 3 houses and 3 schools

my kids are 7 and 11 we looked at Berwick lodge, Berwick and Timbarra primary schools

houses were big and spacious and very reasonable on rent ranging from 370 to 430 weekly and the staff at the schools very friendly and helpful with our enquiries. Berwick lodge has before school care starting from 6 30am and Timbarra is p-9 with bonus that kids from there can attend any of secondary schools in area instead of being restricted by zoning which is the case for those moving up at end of year 6 from other primary schools

Generally the area had a peaceful feel and nice views around the only thing which struck me though is that everything seems very spread out, the last house we saw was on the chase estate which I think is a popular estate but driving around the estate did not see any corner shops etc and all of the schools said the children travel in from a few k's. It seemed to us def kind of place you would need a car if living on one of new housing developments.

I think driving around it very much reminded me of Milton Keynes only nicer and no concrete cows

Workwise I have job offer in Camberwell so would anticipate around 40 min commute if traffic was kind, it was half five when we began drive back along Monash freeway to city traffic busy but ok however on other side people travelling into area from city was rammed and very slow.

weather here has been changable we have been quite chilly at night in apartment though missing our cosy double glazed windows and radiators

hope that is helpful for you

mem

Hi memmymooch - thanks so much for your post - really really wish we could do a reccie but don't think we can afford to do that and need to get my 10 yr old into school asap - my 7 yr old will be fine. When you say everything is spread out, do you mean between houses or between housing estates? Do you see kids playing out? My son wants to know if there are any skate parks!!! That is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!

Please keep me posted about your reccie and what you decide - it would be really helpful to us.

Might be good to keep in touch with kids being similar ages etc?

:biggrin:

We have a Skate Park here in Somerville and Mount Eliza has just had one built. The Shire is building them in most localities these days so there is access for all. When there is no skate park available the Shire also has a portable one it moves around which has done the trick for many years.

I prefer the Peninsula to Berwick, mainly because of traffic, having the sea on one side we do not have so much of it. My brother lives in Upper Beaconsfield and in the throws of moving from there, simply because his commute to Melbourne each day is so long its driving him crackers. Upper Beac is the hilly country behind Berwick. He has moved to the western side of town out near Ballarat and says his commute is not so bad and most of it has no traffic lights so its a bonus.

Were moving in June 2013 and skate parks is also on our list!

Melbourne has loads;

http://www.melbournechat.org/topic/3305-melbourne-skate-parks-list/

and Cranbourne has Australia's biggest skate park;

http://www.theshedskatepark.com.au/

So that's that box ticked!!!

Thanks Pity The Fool - you have cheered up 1 reluctant 10 year old!!! :notworthy:

We have a Skate Park here in Somerville and Mount Eliza has just had one built. The Shire is building them in most localities these days so there is access for all. When there is no skate park available the Shire also has a portable one it moves around which has done the trick for many years.

I prefer the Peninsula to Berwick, mainly because of traffic, having the sea on one side we do not have so much of it. My brother lives in Upper Beaconsfield and in the throws of moving from there, simply because his commute to Melbourne each day is so long its driving him crackers. Upper Beac is the hilly country behind Berwick. He has moved to the western side of town out near Ballarat and says his commute is not so bad and most of it has no traffic lights so its a bonus.

Thanks Petals I think I'm definitely going to be asking you many a question as our time approaches - you know the area well!

:yes:

Thanks Petals I think I'm definitely going to be asking you many a question as our time approaches - you know the area well!

:yes:

twenty five years knowledge ha ha

Have you joined the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of the page. Lots of the members now living here and a lot of useful information.

• 1 month later...
twenty five years knowledge ha ha

Have you joined the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of the page. Lots of the members now living here and a lot of useful information.

Petals please help me!!

I had decided on these areas but am now having my doubts as I think I will end up working in the CBD and a lot of people have said the commute will just be too long. I have started thinking about sanctuary lakes in point cook but something inside me is saying I should go East.

Property looks to be really expensive bayside probably due to closer proximity to CBD and beaches but is there anywhere you could recommend in the East that is nice, not too expensive and not too long a commute to CBD. We fly in January and I just can't male a decision on area. As we have kids I need to get it right first time so we don't have to move them again. Major decision for a rubbish decision maker!!!

Any help by anyone would be very much appreciated!

I know a lot of people have moved out west and like it, however when I hear the traffic in the morning and what is happening on the Westgate Bridge it would not be my first choice, also you would need to get to a rail station to take the train and because so many people have moved over that way its pretty hectic. Not saying its not hectic in other areas as well.

For me if I was looking to move now I would like to live closer to the city if I worked in the CBD in fact I lived in Elwood and South Caulfield before we bought our first home. However these are not cheap suburbs and if I had children I would move a bit further out.

I would look at established older areas, why because all the infrastructure is in place. Trains are there, trams, interenet is not a problem. Schools in older areas are not under as much pressure as schools in newer outer areas. Same goes for pre school etc. Also there are clubs around for sport if the children are interested.

I live on the Mornington Peninsula and I would not like the commute to the city from where I live, that said a lot do it. A lot go up from Frankston its an hour on the train and they have expresses in the peak. If you were to look at Frankston then I would only look at some areas such as South Frankston, Lakewood etc and there are other nice areas.

Going further in to the city on the Frankston line I would look at Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale, not Aspendale Gardens though too far from the stations.

Further in you could look around Moorabbin and Cheltenham. The closer in you get the more expensive property is and if the property is of good standard then it will command higher rent.

Looking at other areas I would probably look north to areas like parts of Heidelberg, Rosanna, Bulleen, Eltham. Not near the beach but everything is in place and they are very nice areas with good schools around etc.

If you wanted a little west and north maybe Pascoe Vale, my cousin lived there when he was over in Melbourne and they liked the area.

Just remember you do not need to have an area set in concrete, once you arrive, its not going to upset the children too much if you move schools in the first year again to get somewhere which is more suitable for your family and gives a happy family life. Picking the right location is important as it helps with the settlement process.

A lot of the newer areas in the west also have doctor problems, goodness me we have doctor problems down on the Peninsula. This means that their lists are closed due to demand. As these areas are not near to the private schools, leafy eastern suburbs a lot of doctors just do not want to go there.

Also we have a shortage of general practitioners in Australia.

Good luck, send me a pm if you need more info and don't forget to get over to life in victoria and talk to the Brit locals, also gives you the opportunity to have contact with people before you arrive which is very very helpful. The link is at the foot of the page

I had decided on these areas but am now having my doubts as I think I will end up working in the CBD and a lot of people have said the commute will just be too long. I have started thinking about sanctuary lakes in point cook but something inside me is saying I should go East.

Property looks to be really expensive bayside probably due to closer proximity to CBD and beaches but is there anywhere you could recommend in the East that is nice, not too expensive and not too long a commute to CBD. We fly in January and I just can't male a decision on area. As we have kids I need to get it right first time so we don't have to move them again. Major decision for a rubbish decision maker!!!

Any help by anyone would be very much appreciated!

Hey Fowler Family

Sorry to see you are still struggling - its a real tough decision to make. Think I messaged you a few weeks back on Living In Victoria site. We ruled out the West side quite early because of the amount of problems we had heard about the commute over from that area. I do know a few people who have settled over that way and love it though (Point Cook, Tarneit, etc) but none of them commute to the CBD so cant pass on their details for you to chat to unfortunately.

I really thought I had researched thoroughly from the UK and decided on an area but it just wasn't to be. In hindsight we would have saved ourself so much heartache and expense by arriving and giving ourself a bit longer to get our feet and a feel for the area.

For us - me at home, hubby working in South Melbourne, 4 year old monster and then 2 girls of 12 and 15 - after only a few days of our new move to Berwick we are already just so much happier and positive. Yes hubby now has an extra 15-20 mins commute but its nothing in the grand scheme of things. Girls are at a school that I am happy with the vibe and feedback from. Monster should get a Kinder place next year whereas last area I was told he wouldnt.

Im so sorry that I cant help with other areas but please feel free to message me if you want to chat or ask any other questions

Good Luck x

Archived