car insurance for visitor aged 72

gumster

Hi hope someone can advise me on my 72 yr old dad in law who wants to buy a car & insurance it here whilst he stays with usin oz for 3mths next year. Will he be able to insurance it as a non resident & will his age be a barrier. I personally think he'd be better to hire a car but again the insurance might be difficult in view of his age?

Yes he'll be able to insure it.

Phone insurance company, give personal details ( I guess he would use your address), give vehicle details, they quote you a premium, you accept and pay, or decline and move on to the next insurance co for a quote.

If it's just for 3 months, why not buy the vehicle in your name, insure it in your name and have your FIL as a named driver?

If it's just for 3 months, why not buy the vehicle in your name, insure it in your name and have your FIL as a named driver?

^^that is your best option. Insurance will be difficult (but not impossible) without the car being registered in his name, and registration will be difficult (and pretty much impossible) without having an address and a driver's licence in the state that the car is registered.