can i go on working holiday when kids are travelling on holiday visa with their mam?

Guest Noelle

i am thinking of applying for a working holiday visa in order to get to Oz and secure employment and gain sponsorship while my kids and partner travel on holiday visa. In the meantime i have a skilled visa being processed since Dec08. But just wondering is it ok to go on a working holiday firstly? I have kids but wont be travelling with me initially i am not married and 26 yrs of age. Anyway can anyone shed some light on this thanking you!

Guest wanderer

Noelle,

If you have a look @ http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-

first.htm you'll see

will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia

Note: A dependent child is the child, or step-child, of you or your partner who:

• is not married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship
  • has not turned 18.

If you would like a dependent child to join you in Australia you must apply for a different visa such as a Tourist visa. If you have dependent children who will not accompany you at any time you must apply for a Working Holiday visa using the paper application. You are not able to apply online.

I suppose that gives you two choices:

. Apply for the paper route WHV first and go ahead and see if mam & kids application as tourists online gets through with you being on a WHV being overlooked but if the online application has a reference to you being somewhere that has to be answered, good chance it may not be overlooked.

Maybe an ETA does not have such questioning and you could check eVvisa as well, quick links in box at right of most www.immi.gov.au pages.

. And I suppose one could start telling what may appear to be harmless fibs, especially if there are name differences involved [and I can imagine there'll be a bit of that going on in respect to recce trips in future], and though it may be something I'd be tempted to look at if I was in your or "theirs' " shoes, it is not something I would recommend to people that they do.

Guest chris_mac

Hi Noel

Could your plans become reality... I suppose they could in an ideal world...

Likelyhood of happeningq Not a chance mate..

The DIAC have pulled the strings so tight its almost impossible to get a visa unless you are top priority, additionally unemployment is rising over here and jobs are harder to come by , also any prospective employer would have to demonstrate a skills shortage before they could employ you... This alone takes months and months not to mention fee's the company have to pay in applications to the DIAC.

I would reconsider mate and look for a better plan IMHO.

best wishes

Chris

my main concern is just, can one enter australia on a WHV by oneself but children remaining in Ireland? Ill worry about everything else in due course!

Guest wanderer

Í suppose it could come down to how much more closely DIAC will examine your reason for wanting a WHV.

That could be their intent with

If you have dependent children who will not accompany you at any time you must apply for a Working Holiday visa using the paper application. You are not able to apply online.

And then once you start looking at the WHV headings on the web site you are reminded that the purpose of the WHV is to have an extended holiday supplemented by short term employment.

And then @ Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) you'll find

This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through short-term employment. If your primary reason for travelling to Australia is to participate in the work force, you should consider a visa designed for that purpose.

DIAC can be sticklers when it comes to people not using the right visas and though with many WHV holders it can be more work than play owing to limited funds, running out of them or just wanting to boost their savings whilst treating being somewhere different as a holiday, I'd expect the situation of someone having dependants may be more closely looked at.

It'll possibly be up to you to convince DIAC if associated questions do get asked.

An IA may be able to comment further but I'd not be surprised if not too many have handled WHVs as most do get applied for online and granted in days if not the same day.

Hi Noel

As soon as you indicate you have a dependent child on the on-line system, it will refer you to make a paper application through London. It used to be that having a dependent child disqualified you from getting a WHV but the regulations were changed so that those parents who had no contact with, or have made care arrangements for, their child or children - could still qualify for a WHV.

So, when you apply for the WHV, you will need to convince AHC that not only are you travelling alone, but also that your child will not set foot in Australia at any time during your stay there. If your child does subsequently arrive in Australia, your visa is then liable for cancellation.

Regards

Archived