Working soon in Sydney CBD! Where to live???

dgqs

Hello All!

I'm a 27 yr old single female who is moving to Sydney in a couple of months. I will be working in George Street CBD in Sydney. Initially, the company will provide an apartment (Kent Street) for 1 month but after that, I'll be on my own!

Do you have any suggestions where to live? Is flatshare better than living alone? I'm a city girl so I love bars, restaurants, cafes and clubs. I want to minimize my rent expenses as well. Here are the suburbs I am thinking of:

Surry Hills

Woolloomoollo

Darlinghurst

Potts Point

Elizabeth

I want to live to work and all the action but I want to make sure that I won't be living paycheck to paycheck. Also, how are the commutes?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I would have thought those places would be good options for a single 27 year old. Personal choice whether you want to share or not, I had just about outgrown sharing by 26/27 but maybe you still enjoy it. Work out your take home pay and aim to spend no more than a third on rent and see whether that will get you a one bed place.

Thanks Bungo! I think I will get sharing since I don't want to get homesick too much and I need to make friends. I'd probably do it 1 yr max. For now, I don't want to exceed $380 per week because I'm still testing the waters.

About the suburbs I mentioned, is it better to use bus or train when going to CBD? You think I should get a monthly pass?

Thanks Bungo! I think I will get sharing since I don't want to get homesick too much and I need to make friends. I'd probably do it 1 yr max. For now, I don't want to exceed $380 per week because I'm still testing the waters.

About the suburbs I mentioned, is it better to use bus or train when going to CBD? You think I should get a monthly pass?

Personally I'd wait until you get there and have a look around before choosing a suburb. You've got a month to look around and you'll also be able to talk to your workmates - they may even know of houseshares.

The suburbs you mention are all very handy for the city and are probably the right choice if you are into clubbing, BUT they have some rough areas so be very careful with your choice. To get to Potts Point, for instance, you'll have to walk from the station past all the strip clubs in Kings Cross. The nice parts of Woolloomoolloo are very expensive but it's also got a large section of Housing Commission housing (that's council housing). You may think the prices look good for flats in Surry Hills, but often you'll find a one bedroom flat is more like a cupboard!

The Eastern Suburbs are where you'll live the iconic beach lifestyle of Sydney - Coogee, Bondi, Randwick, Tamarama - so that's something to consider. You'd probably use the express bus from most of those places.

If you were a bit older, I'd be saying Balmain (ferry trip to town) - cafes restaurants and pubs galore but not so good for clubbing.

Thanks Marisa!

I heard about the infamous Kings Cross but Potts Point seems really such a nice area. I am leaning towards Woolloomolloo or Surry Hills - not sure if I am right but Woolloomoolloo seems lovelier than Surry Hills. I think Surry Hills has a hipster vibe which is great but some houses look really old. Reasonable prices though than the rest of all the suburbs I mentioned.

All I know is that I need to stay away from Red Fern and Ultimo!

Thanks Marisa!

I heard about the infamous Kings Cross but Potts Point seems really such a nice area. I am leaning towards Woolloomolloo or Surry Hills - not sure if I am right but Woolloomoolloo seems lovelier than Surry Hills. I think Surry Hills has a hipster vibe which is great but some houses look really old. Reasonable prices though than the rest of all the suburbs I mentioned.

All I know is that I need to stay away from Red Fern and Ultimo!

Kings Cross is pretty tame these days, actually, so a lot depends on how you feel. I used to work in an office in Potts Point and sometimes had to go to evening meetings - it never worried me walking down the main street, in fact the spruikers (the guys outside the clubs touting business) used to keep an eye out for me and make sure the drunks didn't bother me. But although Potts Point looks lovely and leafy, when I got out of the meeting at 10pm I used to sprint from the office until I got to the bright lights of the Cross - people who've bought drugs in the Cross used to go down into the Point's dark lanes to shoot up so I didn't feel too secure!

Woolloomoolloo is down the bottom of the hill, the Wharf looks lovely, but it's where people like Russell Crowe live so you won't be living there. There is a vast apartment complex there, built by a shonky developer called Meriton, which has lovely views of the harbour. As you're just renting, the dodgy construction won't bother you so it would be an option - but otherwise Woolloomooloo is largely public housing, with all the problems that can bring.

I'm not sure why Ultimo should be avoided more than either of those places.