+++ What’s the best approach for working holiday Visa to permanent residency with a twist +++

macnet

HI thanks for taking the time out to ready this –

Ok here we go this is the challenge

I’m and Australian citizen (ex UK born) who lived here in Birkdale near Brisbane, and I have a 21 year old son that is coming over here with his partner on a 1 year working holiday visa (my son was not included on my application to move to Australia 16 years ago). My son is a recently qualified motor mechanic and has been in the industry 5 years. His partner works in childcare and is about to get her skills recognised through ACECQA in order to be able to work in childcare centres here when they both arrive July 1.

So I’m reaching out to determine the best approach for him in terms of employment and getting his skills recognised as I’m not sure if he needs to do that before starting work here in Australia in the motor industry. He can get his skills recognised via the VETASSES skills assessment programme (almost $2000), but is this best approach, as long term they want to move here permanently.

I hope this all makes sense and would value your advice.

Cheers Mark

He will be able to work without the skills assessment. However, if he wishes to apply for a permanent visa, he will need to a skills assessment as part of the application process. He should also check he meets the other criteria such as points, health and charcter.

Be aware, the skills assessment will require a combination of qualifacation and experience. The experience must be post qualifacation experience - time spent during the apprentership wont count.

Ahh thanks so much Verystormy, he only quailifed late last year so that may make it a challenge, perhaps once he has worked here for a year then he will have made his two years in the business. What if he applies for a 457 visa will that need two years also of just employer sponsorship ?

Cheers

Mark

He wouldn't need a skills assessment for a 457 visa, but the employer would need to satisfy the Labour Market Testing criteria for that occupation. There has been quite a bit of commentary that the LMT process is not taken that seriously by DIBP, but I'm not sure this means it's a given that they'd pass the sniff test for hiring a recent graduate vs. a fully-qualified Australian. If he can complete the regional work towards a second WHV, that may help him along in the process, but it may be worthwhile to speak with a migration agent to see what may be the best strategy moving forward.