Ping Pong! Going back to Perth for the 5th time

Cherry Allen

Hey :)

Just to say a quick hi as I will be occasionally posting over the next year or so. Im planning to return to Perth hopefully end 2016. This will be my 5th time. Now I can guess what some of you are thinking and I dont blame you, however I am 100% sure it will work this time (long story). Last left Australia in 2008, so been a little while but judging from what I have read it doesnt seem a lot has changed apart from the economy slowing and unemployment rising. I will be going with little money but I am determined. My children are aged 20, 19, 16 and 7 and they will be coming with me (although the eldest is currently at Uni here so may be delayed a year or two). I am also hoping to bring my dog, a massive expense but totally worth it. I have no house to sell and so wont be buying one. You probably think I am crazy but life is short and totally worth taking chances.

Have done it 5 times too. Just love both countries and cannot stay exclusively in one. Unfortunately, you like us, will never be rich unless the Lotto numbers come up ! I find every move back ( whichever direction) always exciting. Mad but happy. :rolleyes:

Your 16 yr old could be a bit of a problem - can they finish school in UK rather than land in the middle of the final two Aussie years? Assume you have citizenship otherwise do you have a current visa?

My 16 year old will have finished school by the time we go next year. And we all have citizenship :)

Five times?What were your reasons for leaving Australia 4 times?I really hope things work out for you this time around.Must be very unsettling going back and forth,starting new lives,the stress involved.Best wishes.

Previously I have had situations where either my husband wanted to come back or my mother in the UK made me feel guilty about the grandkids....I am not going with husband this time and my mother lives a long way from us now and so is used to not seeing the kids, most of whom are 'grown up' now anyway so of less interest. It is unsettling, but I have never felt more sure than I do now x

Guest The Pom Queen
Previously I have had situations where either my husband wanted to come back or my mother in the UK made me feel guilty about the grandkids....I am not going with husband this time and my mother lives a long way from us now and so is used to not seeing the kids, most of whom are 'grown up' now anyway so of less interest. It is unsettling, but I have never felt more sure than I do now x

Good on you. Do you have family or friends in Perth!

Good on you. Do you have family or friends in Perth!

No family. My family is in the UK although we dont really bother with each other much, everyone has gone their own ways. Unfortunately I dont have much in the way of friends either, due to moving around and I think its quite hard to make friends as an adult. I wasnt working in Australia and so apart from the odd chat to mums at the school gate there wasnt much opportunity for me to make friends, plus my husband was the stay at home and stay with family type. I am hoping to create a social life for myself this time around, as I will have to work and so hope to meet people both at work and in other social situations.

My 16 year old will have finished school by the time we go next year. And we all have citizenship :)

However in Australia they would not have finished school - the school leaving age is 17/18 depending on their birthday.

Would they be planning on furthering their education or going straight into work? I am not sure what opportunities there would be for a 16 year old, there is no equivalent to GCSE's in Australia so they would be considered 'unqualified' without either an ATAR or VET which is taken at 17/18

However in Australia they would not have finished school - the school leaving age is 17/18 depending on their birthday.

Would they be planning on furthering their education or going straight into work? I am not sure what opportunities there would be for a 16 year old, there is no equivalent to GCSE's in Australia so they would be considered 'unqualified' without either an ATAR or VET which is taken at 17/18

Sorry I should have explained better. My daughter will be 17 and a half by the time we go, and have completed her S5 year in Scotland. She will be looking to hopefully go to college or TAFE and study an animal studies course (the one she has seen requires them to have completed equivalent of year 10 so am hoping she would qualify for this), as she wants to be a dog groomer. Failing that she will hope to train through work in an animal industry. Even if we stayed in Scotland she does not want to do S6.

Sorry I should have explained better. My daughter will be 17 and a half by the time we go, and have completed her S5 year in Scotland. She will be looking to hopefully go to college or TAFE and study an animal studies course (the one she has seen requires them to have completed equivalent of year 10 so am hoping she would qualify for this), as she wants to be a dog groomer. Failing that she will hope to train through work in an animal industry. Even if we stayed in Scotland she does not want to do S6.

That makes a big difference & sorry I should have noticed you were in Scotland. As Australian students don't do exams until year 12 I cannot see any reason why she couldn't do the course she wants at TAFE - I would contact colleges to check though. The course she takes should lead to the VET qualification.

Good luck to you all.